Ubuntu...?

I've been using Mandrake since 2000 and was very addicted to it :-) i was screaming "Mandrake" all over the world.. but then.. i've heard about the ubuntu "thingy" :-) to be honest - i don't like gnome, so i thought - well.. i'll wait for a KDE version of this beast.. voilla :-) kubuntu kame in :-) Installed the Kubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger... what can i say - much smoother and polished then Mandriva "out of the box". no tweaks needed to be done... Mandriva is a great distro.. don't understand me wrong.. i still love it and will love it... but this... it just going to be something REALLY bad to happen so i will decide to remove it...

bottom line - try kubuntu if you like KDE...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been with Mandrake since 8.0. Decided to try Kubuntu recently (I do not like Gnome).

1. It looked a LOT better than Mdk.

2. It relies on KDE control center for conf - there is nothing like MCC for Mdk. They have modified it, and modification is flaky at best. One can still use standard kcontrol if this Kubuntu frontend does not do the job. In general, I think its a good idea.

3. Sound was working out of the box. This is something that has never happened to me in Mandrake.

This is where the good stuff stops.

4. This sudo stuff is plain awful. Install ended with sudo broken so I could not use it for admin purposes. And I could not use it for setting root pwd as well ;) Knoppix to the rescue.

5. KPPP was broken. Has NEVER happened to me. Not even when I did my first Red Hat 6 install. And I need it.

6. After fighting with sudo setting up ANY networking was another long and senseless fight. For me Linux networking has always worked.

7. Finally, when installing updates and extra software, Adept (their new and flashy apt frontend) broke. So badly that after reboot even KDE would not start.

So it was back to Mandrake fast. I can live with sound not working, but I hate security stuff that I do not need and that makes my life miserable as user/admin and that cannot be even switched off (if you activate root account, (K)Ubuntu config utils will not work properly, so you should not do it).

As far as I'm concerned, Debian Sid (either plain, or via a Kanotix LiveCD for those that are lazy to finetune things from CLI) is ages better than what (K)Ubuntu will manage to be in the foreseeable future.

Surely enough Sid is unstable/buggy, while the current Ubuntu repo is more polished, but then Ubuntu is flawed by definition (should I repeat that their "sudo" root policy is plain stupid? I guess not, because every schoolboy or experienced *nix user in that forum says the same thing!), and the convenience it adds for certain tasks is not, in any way, better than the one offered by the major, bloated *nix distros (Mandriva, SuSE, Fedora).

Don't get me wrong, it may be just GREAT for people that cannot handle Sid properly, but (IMHO) it's not better in ANY way- rather the opposite.

Scarecrow, I couldn't have said it better myself. I just want to add that sid has been going through a pretty rough phase over the last several months with the xorg update and the change to the new QT libs, among other things. As a result sid has been particularly unstable lately but it all seems to be calming down now.

I just erased Ubuntu from one of my laptops (it survived three weeks there). Although everything worked, it came for a certain price and that is a highly patched kernel that resulted first in temporary freezes due to repeated hdd access, later in complete lock-ups. And I read that there is already a bug filed, but as it seems, it is not only the kernel but also some other packages that make ubuntu unusable for laptop usage right now.

They started well and sadly got plain bad very fast imho.

Plus, honestly I don't find Ubuntu that bad, even as a "paranoid penguin" all the sudo complaining, I fully agree with, but how long does it take to dissable all that, um less than a minute I would say.

All and all the great thing about Linux is we have about 500 choices of distro's to choose from so, to each there own.

:cheesy:

Plus, honestly I don't find Ubuntu that bad, even as a "paranoid penguin" all the sudo complaining, I fully agree with, but how long does it take to dissable all that, um less than a minute I would say.

Creating a root account takes less than one minute indeed- gut resolving the numerous issues that come after that (just take a look at Ubutnu forums) is both very time consuming and annoying.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, Im keeping ubuntu on the lappy alongside slack but im not sure why... PROS= its cute, you dont need to keep installing disks beyond two for app installs from cds, since there arent any more than ubuntu and kubuntu. Its Debian, sort of...you can get used to the sudo thingy...alot of it works out of box. The forum and support is pretty well established and looks like theyre in for the long haul with all the canonical business and a possible gnubuntu and edubuntu and ...

Did i mention cute?

CONS= its a little on the slim side (since i like bloated distros too), the forums are a bit newb heavy, its not exactly my idea of debian compatible (compared to kanotix or mepis), its got a slightly smaller repository than sid, theres a bug of the month in every release, at least in my experience, this time round its the kaffeine, totem gstreamer crashes, and some odd things happen when you add kde to ubuntu or vice versa....it is cute however....

Strange, I feel like installing say Kanotix, since its very deb compatible, but when i think of removing ubuntu i get free floating anxiety and guilt. Youre removing a distro thats stands for humanity, freedom and (judging by the names) small furry animals?! WHAT KIND OF MONSTER ARE YOU?!?! So Im giving them more time, to see if i can catch on to what the rest of the world seems to be going ooooh and aaaah over...and im afraid i may find out its a great newb distro, with a kick ass debian philosophy on steroids. But if thats the case, why arent they more deb compatible? I find myself scouring the web for reasons to fall madly in love with ubuntu but nothing yet...its 'nice'

Did i mention, cute?

Strong temptations to try and config sarge again on the laptop, or test kanotix and debian sid, as opposed to ubuntu sid....instead of waiting to see which deb pkg will break my system cause ubuntu dont have it....

:screwy: puzzled by the ubuntu juggernaut.....

I have ubuntu 5.10 again on one of my lappies. It's not perfect but it works okay without a lot of tweaking. (although I have to launch a stupid hdparm -d0 -B 255 /dev/hda every time I log in. The hdparm.conf file gets ignored by the kernel somehow. :sad:). I am sure I will erase ubuntu from the lappy sooner or later when I have some time left (and no critical work to be done with the lappy). What's next? Slackware? Debian? SUSE? Don't kow yet...

Arctic try Slack you'll like it.

As for me I had to go back to Hoary on my desktop. Breezy for some reason just did not like my desktop. Firefox would not hardly run at all. Opera seemed to work alright. If I did a "man" in a terminal and wanted to close out of it, I would have to actually close out the terminal to get out instead of hitting escape.

When I would log out and try to log in there would be a error all the time about "gnome has found another panel running.....".

I might try to install kubuntu and then upgrade to Breezy with apt, and see what happens.

Arctic try Slack you'll like it.

:lol: I have been a Slackware user for quite some time (10.0, 10.1,10.2 and current branch) until I killed my Slack partition on one of my desktop machines by accident. I might give it again a try on my lappy but there are three things that keep me from installing it right now: 1. I am lazy, 2. I don't have the time for fiddling around as I need the box for work right now, 3. The configuration of my lappy will be a pain. Once I have finished my scientific work (probably end of January/beginning of February) I might give it a chance again, but not before. ;)

I understand the laziness. I read the Slack thread after I posted in here, but was too lazy to come back and edit my post here. :D

Well it just seems as though this desktop system doesn't like Ubuntu at all. Thinking of just removing the linux partition all together and just running all windows on here. I pretty much only use this system for gaming anyways.

I might give Arch a try on here though. Not sure yet. Been suffering from pc/os burn out as of late. lol