Strange installation quirks [solved]

Tymestream

I installed Mandriva 2006 a few weeks ago as an upgrade to 10.1 OE and everything went excellent. Two problems that I have come to notice are:

1. The login screen is very basic. Blue screen with simple text inputs for user and password. While it is functional it is not what I expected. (This may or may not be connected to the fact that the auto login feature will not work)

2. I have no option to shut down the computer! I can only "end session" (Which takes me back to the simple login screen mentioned above and gives me no other options other than user and password)

I have no idea where to begin. If anyone has suggestions I would be grateful.

I have never changed from whatever the default is in 10.1. I just upgraded to 2006.0 and I lost the login manager and ability to shutdown or restart.

The login manager - so called - is simply a blue screen with 2 white boxes labeled user and password. Ultra basic. The login options in the <KDE - Configure your desktop> have no effect.

Very odd.

SOLVED

The problem with the shutdown and autologin stemmed from the same thing. The upgrade to 2006 from 10.1, for some reason, did not install KDM (I think that this is the default login manager)

Once I urpmi kdm all was well, I now have my pretty login options and my shutdown/restart options. Also the logoff menu from the <start> menu also gives me shutdown/restart options were before it only showed end session.

Found a few others with the same problem. Hope this helps someone else.

Cheers,