OOo 2.0 RPM? [solved]

sparrish

Jeez, yer no askin for much :D

OpenOffice2 has only just been released today, you ,may have to wait a week or so before rpm's are built. Who will build them, who knows? If Mandriva is snappy enough their packager will be on the case as soon as, or there mey be an unofficial packagre making the rpm's available. Whetever happens, you will have to wait for the news to filter!

What's so wrong with the installer?

My apologies, I wasn't sure how long it took for RPMs to come out. :D

I usually just wait for the next Mandriva version, but I've been so excited about OOo 2.0 that I thought I'd ask. Maybe I'll give the installer a try. I tried it with the beta, and it didn't work so well, but I'll give it another shot. Thanks for the advice!

Oops, guess I was a little hasty in asking that question in the first place. I hadn't realized that the tar was already in RPM. And what a nice package, too! Mandriva menus and all. Thanks for the info on installing it, though, that threw me at first. After that, though, very nice!

Did I do anything wrong when installed all the rpm's I needed with # urpmi --allow-force? :unsure:

I don't think so. Many people typically install downloaded rpms using urpmi. That way you have the benefit that if any dependencies are needed that aren't in the rpm and aren't installed yet on your system, urpmi may find them in it's repositories and install them.

The --allow-force flag option should still prompt you if a dependency is not found, so you still have the option whether to proceed or not.

So I don't think there's anything problem. You're not having any problem with the Open Office install, are you?

Well, --allow-force should never be used except a a very last resort and ordinarily you could have easily trashed somthing. You got away clean with doing it in this case because the rpms supplied by OpenOffice.org for OOo-2.0 by default install into OOo-2.0's own directory under /opt instead of putting stuff in /usr like a native Mandriva rpm for OOo would. So there was no danger of overwriting anything in this case. OOo-2.0 (like Mozilla.org packages for Firefox and Thunderbird) supplies it's own libraries instead of sharing them. It's less space-efficient but makes the OOo.org package distro-independent.

But since OOo-2.0 does supply it's own libraries, that also means that in this case there's no advantage to using 'urpmi --allow-force' in place of 'rpm -Uvih' as the installation instructions suggest, since there's no dependency resolving urpmi needs to do. Of course, there's nothing to 'force' either. Anyway, point is using --force is generally a Very Bad Thing.

I gotta say, I'm very impressed with OOo 2.0. It has everything! I'm still trying to navigate Base, but otherwise I love it. The day I downloaded it, the install instructions for Linux hadn't yet been posted, hence my original confusion. Overall, an extremely nice package that will definitely make OOo an even better contender in the Productivity market.

Anyway, point is using --force is generally a Very Bad Thing.

It's good when you need to resolve some moronic dependencies when you have to install A and B, but urpmi requests B before A and A before B.

In this OO case I did it because urpmi didn't see other core files.

And to be frank I wasn't aware of the "rpm Uvih" command :lol2: