linux games

Guest ndeb

It is definitely a joke:

In a recent survey of Linux users, less than three percent of respondents said that their spouse also used the Linux operating system. By comparison, sixty-three percent of AOL users said that their spouse was also mentally deficient.

:)

I found it not too bad, but I have had quite a few discussions at home as to why to use linux/open source etcetc. My girlfriend understands this and agrees, but is so used to MSWord that she can't work comfortably with OOwriter.

She keeps trying though, but the damn thing is sometimes different in an annoying way. Mind you, she got used to the bad sides of Word long ago, and knows how to 'wing it'. That winging may not be necessary in the same way on OOwriter, but there are different things/issues.

I look into her every comment, and sometimes have to agree.

At least I got her to use the mail and web stuff in linux. Recently she received a virus from a friend (twice), and the immunity of her system (under linux) was very welcome...

I first (like the guy in the article) made her machine boot windows, but then she would only have a couple of seconds at boot to start linux, and she'd often miss that window. So now I set it up to boot to linux, and if she doesn't select windows on time, she can do a reboot to windows from the linux login menu.

So enough things for me to recognise and laugh about in the article... :)

What I don't get, btw, is the topic title...

One thing I wonder about, would it be true that only 3 percent of linux users spouses also use linux? I find that hard to believe...

It is a good sign.

I believe that as microuseless detects that people "want" an os as opposed to just accepting what is there, we will see more and more snide smears and "humour" articles derriding the use of linux.

The more we see articles like this, the more people will ask "What's Linux?" And we will gladly answer that question!

bbspot also sells "Microsoft Purchases Evil from Satan" t-shirts so they are not exactly anti linux just a humor site

read this

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2003/01/outlook.html

extract:

Many are worried that Microsoft coded in some sort of insecure back door into Outlook for this database tracking. A Microsoft representative claimed that this back door is very secure and that users should focus more closely on the 237 other insecurities in Outlook.

I also thought it was funny. Can't imagine why anyone would be offended. The fact that humorous articles are being written about linux is a good sign; people don't write humor pieces on obscure topics that no one can relate to. All goes to show the growing acceptance and familiarity with linux.