USB not working in Mandriva 2006

SurfahBoy808

I just installed Mandriva 2006 PowerPack on 2 computers. One was a fresh install, and the other was an upgrade from Mandriva 2005 LE. I realized that after I installed it, my usb peripherals no longer are recognized. My USB flash key and my USB hard drive aren't showing anymore. Perhaps they just don't automount anymore but I don't see them listed in the control panel either. Anyone else have this problem with 2006? it worked fine in 2005.

Check the Devices and/or Media folders on your Desktop. If the USB flash drive was detected and automounted, it should show in these folders with a Removable icon. If not check the output of the dmesg command for errors (also browse /var/log/messages) and also try starting up the machine with the USB device plugged in (to try to identify if the problem occurs only with dynamic detection of the device)..

Various USB problems with 2006 have been reported.

My USB flash device is detected and automounted ok in 2006.

Edited by jboy

it definitely wasn't in the devices folder, and I would think it would show up in hard drake.  At least I know that USB problems have been reported and hopefully a fix should be in the works.  Thanks.

I have the same problem. Usb modules aren't loaded at boot anymore. My scanner doesn't work for the moment.

I'm trying to find the part in the control center that allowed me to turn hotplugging on at boot. It's not in the services part.

Hve you activated the expert mode in the MCC? The system services like hotplug should still be in the services section. If it ain't there, you can still start the service from the command line.

Sounds like a udev problem.....I had a similar problem in mdv 2005 and the only way to resolved it was to upgrade udev from mdv2006 rpms....

Cheers....

Edited by wardevil

At the top menu, there is the option to enable expert mode. I am not in front of a Mandriva box right now... sorry.

if I launch MCC expert mode from the menu, it automatically launches Webmin in a browser. Yet, I still don't see hotplugging in the services section, nor any other section. What is the command to enable hotplugging?

no, just the applications to more recent versions

you can use thac's repo for kde 3.4.2

by d.e. I ment KDE or Gnome (or any other wm)

I know that's not a solution for 2006, but I don't see any other way than to wait out till 2006 becomes more stable and bug free,

if 2005 worked fine, then continue on using it ;)

no, just the applications to more recent versions

you can use thac's repo for kde 3.4.2

by d.e. I ment KDE or Gnome (or any other wm)

I know that's not a solution for 2006, but I don't see any other way than to wait out till 2006 becomes more stable and bug free,

if 2005 worked fine, then continue on using it ;)

Your "solution" isn't good for me : Mandriva 2006 is better than 2005 for a lot of things. For instance, I couldn't use a wacom pen tablet since Mandrake 10. Now, it works again. If I downgrade, I loose these improvements.

The MCC has improved too. It's faster, more reactive... KDE... end so on...

No ! someone ought to work out this problem about usb !