ndiswrapper partially works

JonEberger

so i've got ndiswrapper working well...pretty well.

i've got a wg111 usb wireless nic connected to my desktop pc. i've got it set (in ifcfg-wlan0) to come on at boot (ONBOOT=yes) and to pull ip as well from my wireless router. it will stay up for days on end. but occasionally it drops connection. i'm not sure why. sometimes it never pulls the ip address onboot. executing the following code

ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 channel xx
iwconfig wlan0 essid ___________
ifup wlan0

it may or may not pull a connection. what i've noticed is that with a program like gaim running, my connection stays alive longer. i doubt it's ndiswrapper. what i would imagine is that it is the settings i'm giving it. i've had this issue with a d-link wireless pcmcia nic on two laptops as well.

any ideas? it's my primary connection and so it would be nice to figure out.

Edited by JonEberger

I have atheros chipsets to, ar5012 or something like that, but I've not attempted to install for a while.

I had more luck getting it working with ndiswrapper. But I had all the security turned off on the access point. I was trying to get it to work with WPA but it wouldn't have it.

I'll try it again soon, my laptop is now free from it's requirements for "work" :P

Might be best trying with the access point wide open, and see how you get on. Have you followed their links?

This is their main link:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawi...x.php/Main_Page

but the best one you want to look at is this one:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawi...hp/Installation

I downloaded them whilst I was trying to get mine working :P

Had any luck with all the security left wide open on the wireless access point? If so, you can slowly add it all back in to see what works best.