Apt-get

yr2alex

Now that Apt and Synaptic are available for Mandriva, is there documentaion available with instructions on how to configure /etc/apt/sources.list to use Mandriva mirrors? No flaming please, just exercising the right to make choices. Linux --need i say more?

cheers :beer:

yr2alex

Edited by yr2alex

Use Smart... this is the "modern" way to handle Mandy packages.

Believe me I intend on it. Further more, I would like to perform an active comparison beteween the two package managers. This was my motive for asking. Again is there any available documentation containing instructions on how to configure Apt-get to use Mandriva mirrors?

yr2alex :thanks:

There was such a thing, on the PCLinuxOS forums.. it should be there, still. PCLinuxOS uses Mandy base and Mandy compliant RPM packages, but apt-get/synaptic (or kpackage) as main package manager, and not urpmi.

I have folloed the instructions there and had apt nicely working on Mandy, but (IMO) smart is a better solution... actually Texstar (the PCLOS man) likes it and wil likely introduce it as one (if not the main) package manager in the next PCLOS release.

I have MDV 10.2 installed on a VMware machine which has to access the internet and external networks via a firewall/proxy. I Tried Smartpm on it and was very impressed with the exception of the fact that it does not have built-in proxy support making package management impossible. However, I tried Synaptic -I am rather fond of it (in fact I use it quite frequently on Debian, Mepis, and Ubuntu). It is a mature package manager that has built-in proxy support, with the exception of a few external issues it worked as soon as I plugged in the repo data. Smart is good but it does not suit my needs because I can not use it here at work because it lacks proxy support. Urpmi does, nevertheless, a moot point a frontend gui that will perform the same actions is what I need.

:thanks: all for your help,

yr2alex

P.S. I have provided some screen shots

post-6086-1129658444_thumb.jpgpost-6086-1129658462_thumb.jpgpost-6086-1129658485_thumb.jpg :beer: