Thac's RPMS

supermario

I was told that somebody by the name of Thac is the man when it comes to rpms. I was also told that he stopped making them for mandriva and is making them for PCLINUXOS. It is my understanding that PCLinux is like a Mandriva variant, is this true? If so, will Thacs new PCLinux RPMS work on Mandriva 2006. By the way, im a total newb and the proud owner or MANDRIVA 2006, well, once I get it in the mail. Laters.

Edited by supermario

While PCLinuxOS is derived from Mandriva, it is customized and should not be used as if it were Mandriva. Thac did some fine work producing Mandriva rpm's and he is using his talents for his best advantage with PCLinuxOS. But the rpms he now makes should not be considered immediately useful with Mandriva.

Thac used to make good RPM packages for Mandy- not anymore. Actually he isn't very active in PCLOS lately, either.

As for the seerofsouls RPM's, use it at your own risk. They mainly are Cooker backports, and the support for them is fluffy- actually the site admin at the SoS forum prefers to delete (or ban the poster) of whatever post he doesn't approve...

Edited by scarecrow

there is somthing real new coming very soon for mandriva 2006 from us again

we will anounce it here

there is a little preview of the new 2006 rpms here

http://rpm.nyvalls.se/index2006.0.html

no urpmi yet though only manual download

the xorg i added has working unichrome dri somthing the official xorg is missing

and about my pclo work

check it for yourself here

http://rpm.nyvalls.se/indexpclo2005.html

have fun

Nice to hear that. Actually I would really ilke to try your "unofficial" xorg 6.9.X beta, as the Greek keyboard layout is horribly broken in both the official Mandriva 2006.0 release, and PCLinuxOS as well (keyboard layout switches seemingly OK, but only english chars can be typed!). Of course the problem is the xorg source, in both cases, and not a packager error...

I'm pretty sure it isn't a hardware issue, as on the SAME hardware Arch Linux and the latest Kanotix RC (both on xorg 6.8.2) work flawlessly.

Nice to hear that. Actually I would really ilke to try your "unofficial" xorg 6.9.X beta, as the Greek keyboard layout is horribly broken in both the official Mandriva 2006.0 release, and PCLinuxOS as well (keyboard layout switches seemingly OK, but only english chars can be typed!). Of course the problem is the xorg source, in both cases, and not a packager error...

I'm pretty sure it isn't a hardware issue, as on the SAME hardware Arch Linux and the latest Kanotix RC (both on xorg 6.8.2) work flawlessly.

My greek keyboard is still broken as well. I thought it was only me... Have u tried out thac's xorg?

Have u tried out thac's xorg?

I just did that, a few minutes ago. Still the greek (...at least) keyboard is broken... :evilmod:

I also found out why: xorg from CVS is pretty much a mess! If you go to the /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc directory you will find no file named "el" in there- its rather "gr" ! :lol2:

Changing "el" to "gr" in your /etc/X11/xorg.cong does bring you greek chars... but as some things ARE still broken (e.g the corresponding file in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols directory was "forgotten" as "el" !!! ) , you should still encounter some issues- hopefully minor. Monotonic is working, not sure about the greek extended/polytonic keyboard.

I believe Mandriva 2006 should not use xorg 6.9.0 that early...

Edited by scarecrow