Switching OS

Hello Bonnie. Are you of the fair gender ??? If so then bonnie and her sister have added two more ladies to the Mandriva world. I think that deserves a toast and also to all the growing band of women joining MUB and the Linux world. :beer::beer::beer::beer::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Cheers. John.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes that is correct, i am a female. i guess that is uncommon here? female or not i know when ive had enough of windows hehe. but dont worry ill be around for a while i have much to learn and once i do ill be sure to return the favor by helping other "beginners" but im only 19 im not old enough to have a toast hehe.. maybe in a few years we can have a toast *smiles*

Bonnie

well as long as im old enough some where hehe. ive run into a problem AGAIN. :cry: when i download something off the internet it will instll then after it installs i dont know whats up, i dont know how to open it or where it installed to or anything. i know you have to open it with the command thing, because i downloaded yahoo messenger the other day and it did what all the others are doing but i took a wild guess and typed in "ymessenger" in my command and it worked, but that was just luck i need advice or help or something on how you know what to type in the command box because ive installed a few things that i cant open nor find.....

Bonnie

this is what i get when i open the file im sure that somehow tells me how to get into the program but im not sure because all that looks pretty foreign to me. i know i am probably a real pain right now but the up side to this is that is the only problem i am having so far, trying to open files via command or at least finding them so i can click on them and try my luck that way, but im no longer looking for yahoo i have that installed and working fine right now im just trying to find out where i put limewire... thats what all that lot down there is for too by the way *points down at all the stuff below my text*

#!/bin/sh

PATH=/usr/bin:/bin

umask 022

NODlibthread_path=

diskSpaceRequired=58920

MIME_TYPE=application/x-java-jnlp-file

echo_args="-e "

tail_args="-n "

more <<"EOF"OT_VERSION=150_05

javahome=jre1.5.0_05

platform=linux

PACKED_JARS="lib/rt.jar lib/jsse.jar lib/charsets.jar lib/ext/localedata.jar lib/plugin.jar lib/javaws.jar lib/deploy.jar"

ARCH=32

LINUX_RPM=

JAVAWS_BIN=bin/javaws

i hope all this stuff will help you guys figure out what im trying to do because im having difficulty explaining what i am trying to do..

Bonnie

no problem

bin is a directory and the path to it is... /usr/bin

just like in Windows for example C://home/documents/

open up Konqueror (if you're using KDE) and go to /usr/bin

the filenames of the files you see there are also the commands you have to type in order to launch the particular program

p.s. still, check your menu, I think Limewire could be there

p.p.s. How did you install Limewire? from an .rpm or through package manager?

ok i found the file i was looking for now " some package requested cannot be installed: LimeWire-free-4.9.37-0.i386 (due to unsatisfied j2re[>=1.4.1]) continue?" is an issue maybe i just wont bother with it i guess i should figure out what this stuff means before i try to do something complicated.. *sigh* ill take that beer now haha anyway, thanks but im frustrated so i need to get away from this thing for a bit *hugs kisses and all that*

bonnie

*sigh* cant install that either , im stuck on number three i go to the konsole and type "su" it works then do the pw thing then on three i type "cd/usr/java" it says no such file directory.. so i tried "cd/usr/local" like the little note at the bottem says and same thing...

Follow these instructions:

1. At the terminal: Type:

su

2. Enter the root password.

3. Change to the directory in which you want to install. Type:

cd

For example, to install the software in the /usr/java/ directory, Type:

cd /usr/java

Note about root access: To install the JRE in a system-wide location such as/usr/local, you must login as the root user to gain the necessary permissions. If you do not have root access, install the JRE in your home directory or a subdirectory for which you have write permissions.

im trying to install java by the way those are installation instructions for java <part of them> anyway i seem to be having a HUGE problem with the commands.....

Bonnie

I don't think that /usr/java exists by default so you have to create it (by the mkdir command). Second most of these steps can be made using a GUI like konqueror. As a newbie you should probably use that. Just launch konqueror with root privileges (open a terminal, type "su", give root password, type konqueror). In konqueror you can navigate anywhere in the system. So you can go to /usr right click and choose "create new" (or something like that, sorry I'm not using English GUI), choose directory from the list, give the name (java) and you're ready with the first part.

As you're coming from the Windows world you will notice that Linux uses different principles in a lot of things. One of these is the filesystem, other is the installation. In Windows you could do everything since you're admin by default, except deleting the Windows directory. To install something you had to download the program and install it. In the installation process the program created its own directory where it put everything related to that program (well in almost all cases). In Linux the file system is as is you can't do anything you want since you're a regular user by default, except in your home dir.

The stucture of the file system is defined. There are /bin, /sbin, /usr etc directories in every Linux system. The files are placed in the directory structure by their role/properties, eg system executables (cd, tar etc) are in /bin, system executables that only root can use (like fdisk) are in /sbin. The executables of the programs you installed are most of the times in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.

Linux systems have package managers which is a central installation/uninstallition utility (Mandriva has rpmdrake, System\Configuration\Packaging in the menu). Linux distros have central source of softwares on ftp servers called repositories. You can setup the package managers to use those ftp servers and then you can just choose from the list what you want to install the package manager does the rest. This is the prefered way of installition especially for a newbie since if you use the Windows method you'll soon meet dependency hell which is probably the biggest disadvantage of the opensource world.

Unfortunately Java is propietary software so it's not in Mandriva packages unless you're a club member. If you want to setup those ftp servers visit easyurpmi.zarb.org. Main and contrib are the basic source of Mandriva software. More than 10G of software is there.