Devil Whiskey & python

I wasn't sure whether to post this in games since it's about getting a game to work or in here since I'm trying to play it on arch. Mods feel free to move it if you want.

I bought the full version of Devil Whiskey for Linux and I'm having problems getting it to work properly. When you enter certain buildings or go certain places etc... python scripts are run to include bits of gameplay - someone passed you a note, someone wants to talk to you, attack you etc...

The problem is that almost none of these every get run for me( the same was true when I played the demo but I assumed it was because of the limitations of the demo.

For example, when I enter a building in which a part of the plot is supposed to unfold, instead of seeing the appropriate content, I just enter an empty building - as if it had no roof.

I have definately got all the dependencies installed - at least all the listed ones... Unfortuantely there aren't really any error messages so I'm drawing a blank.

I'm hoping someone with some python knowledge or who has got this game to work (AI...) might be able to give me some clues...

no one on the arch forums has a clue, but it's all linux and I know AI has played the game.

Scarecrow: you don't fancy installing the demo do you and see if you get the same results do you? It owuld be worth knowing if it's something in my setup or something to do with how arch is set up?

Edited by phunni

It's been 8 month ago I played the game. It worked fine in ubuntu. I have uninstalled the arch OS I had on my computer so I can't test it for you. But I'll try it in ubuntu one of these days and see if I've any problems.

• 7 months later...

I was writting a howto about devil whiskey you might take a look at - http://gaming.gwos.org/index.php?option=co...id=41&Itemid=63

and then I recall this post here.

I know there's a bug on Python2.2 debian version, I don't know if it's general or just debian/ubuntu - http://groups.google.dk/group/linux.debian...f5f48c9ce09382b

It could have something to do with the case.