Mandriva 2006 kills Network in Windows

Ovidiu

After I got my hands on the Mandriva 2006 I installed it right away so I can have a byte on the new features.

Apperently I choked and the reason was that after doing a boot into Windows I noticed that in my systray was a message saying network cable is unplugged. :huh:

I took a look at the back to see if the LED's are on.

No they're off. And the cable is plugged in.

Went back to M2006 and guess what.

The backlight was on and the netwrok was running.

Unbelievable. :furious3:

Format hdb1 and sda1 reinstall XP, NO NETOWRK :alien::weird:

Then after 4 hours it came to me :idea: Reinstall Mandriva, see if the LED's are on and net is up and then do a hard reset.

Guess what.

It worked.

Now my question to you are:

How can this happen ?

Is it possible that M2006 can tamper with the hardware in such a way that a reinstall of XP is useless ?

:thanks:

Edited by Ovidiu

Yeah that's what I thought untill it happend.

The way the system is set up is like this:

post-12466-1129317519_thumb.jpg

I will try to remake the problem to see if it was just a glitch.

Edit:

It's not a glitch.

Restar Win XP> Boot form 40Gig HD > load Mandriva > login as user xxxx >

after logging in restart computer >

booting WinXP > NETWORK CABLE IS UNPLUGGED >

shut down > boot to linux > waiting for eth0 to enable > after the logon screen appears I do hard reset.

Network in Windows is up again.

Suggestions ???

One can only guess.

Mandriva (and any linux) does nothing "to" hardware. It communicates with a driver. Windows also communicates with a driver. Some hardware is designed to run only in windows, but again, appropriate communication data makes this stuff work as well.

So my guess is that upon a reboot, there is a memory shadow interfering with windows. Anything out of place in memory makes windows act funny, including itself! Try to duplicate the problem by shuting down completely and then restarting, rather than just restarting. I have experinced issues before with a linux- to- windows reboot. But just a guess.

Shwt Down > wait 10 sec > On > boot into linux > logon as user xxxx >

do a little surfing > shut down linux > wait 10 sec >

boot XP > same problem > restart XP >

boot linux wait for eth0 to enable [OK] hard reset

I don't know how this happens but after a normal shutdown or normal reboot of the linux OS the on board network stops responding.

No life signs.

And yes the driver needs to communicate with the HW but this is like when the HW is turned off.

How can you stop any activity on an on-board NIC ?????

Welcome to "The Outer Limits" :cheesy:

Edit:

When shutdown from the M2006 OS the NIC is off and it remains the same until a start of eth0 in linux.

But.

If I turn off the power completly by unplugging the power cable form the main source then I can boot back to XP and have the net up.

Well, it is certainly an interesting problem! :D

I am now wondering if there might be a bios feature doing this, like "wake on LAN" or something. Is your NIC on-board or pci?

I am now wondering if there might be a bios feature doing this, like "wake on LAN" or something. Is your NIC on-board or pci?

It's on board it's the Marvell in the signature and the Intel is on PCI.

I pluged it in to see if I can connect properly to the network. It did'n work. Not same MAC, blah blah blah. I'll remove it later.

Anyway the settings in the BIOS are all disabled :cheesy:

WakeUp / Power Up by Ring

Power On by PCI,RTC, Keyboard, Mouse

OnBoard Giga LAN Boot ROM

I have had a similar problem and get a cable unpluged message if i try to use Windows XP after installing a version of linux. I use Gag to dual boot and found that after I installed a new operating system I had to re enter my windows partition information into Gag. This fixed it for me. Just a thought but could it be a bootloader problem.

I had similar problems. The windows coputers recognise the linux (samba) only after 10 minites. What is worse is that mandriva 2006 kills the adsl conection in the network after a while. 2006 is the first distribution I regard a failure. Many inconsitencies and kde crashes (on a 2800 mhz machine with 1 gb ram!_. I'm tired of it and get back to mandrake 10.1

Earny. Which 2006 are you using ??? -1beta, -2beta, rsc-2, 2006-community or 2006-official ???.

If it is not the 2006-official version then your comments are unjustified about 2006 being a failure. My following comments apply to everyone and is not just directed at you.

Any other than the final official version were/are works in progress and are released by Mandriva to enable bugs to be found and reported so thay could/can be fixed. In other words they were/are prototypes. The same applys to all the community versions and is the reason most of us here at MUB recommend that members new to Mandriva and Linux, start off using ONLY official versions because they are the most bug free of the versions.

I think a lot of new users do not understand this particular point and others often tend to forget it.

I am currently using Mandriva2006-official and Windows2000-Pro and both on Lan on an ADSL 500-Speedtouch and nothing has been screwed up in either OSs web connection. It is rock solid. Quite frankly, I have used all of the above listed 2006 versions in turn and NEVER ever had a network connection problem.

I think it is likely it is hardware that is at fault and not Mandriva, even if you do not happen to be using 2006-official.

I have not had KDE crash on me despite my using only KDE and not Gnome and I spend most of my time on the computer (probably too much). In -1beta and -2beta I had ocassional freezes caused by an application or two but never a crash and have not had even this problem in the 2006-community or my current 2006-official at all.

Cheers. John.

I also do not regard 2006 as a failure. I am still using rc2, and have 2 other people switched to linux using it, with no issues as you discribe. Mandrake 8.1 is the only release that I would lable as a failure!

Well said John! I agree completely.

Back on topic, when reading the start I wanted to comment immediately that the pc should be unplugged from the wall socket for some time - a few seconds should do.

Remember, the power on some voltage lines (I thought 5V and 3.3V, but I'm not sure) is never down unless the machine gets switched off with the power switch at the back - if you have it, or by unplugging.

There is nothing mysterious about that, just that some shadow caches and such don't get cleared properly.

Note that if this were to happen the other way around - i.e. Linux being the majority platform, people would say: hey, MSWindows sucks, it can't start the network after I used Linux.

Whereas in Linux, if this kind of thing happens/happened, they just fixed the drivercode to remedy the issue.

So frankly, the MSWin driver should be fixed, don't complain here on a Linux board, complain to the manufacturer or MS for their half-baked system...

First off, thank you for your replys. :thanks:

I have had a similar problem and get a cable unpluged message if i try to use Windows XP after installing a version of linux. I use Gag to dual boot and found that after I installed a new operating system I had to re enter my windows partition information into Gag. This fixed it for me. Just a thought but could it be a bootloader problem.

Hi and welcome to the forum. :headbang: . Gag seems like an interesting option to grub or lilo but I want to focus on to these two. Having two HD both having it's own MBR to boot from a boot manager is not requiered.

I had similar problems. The windows coputers recognise the linux (samba) only after 10 minites. What is worse is that mandriva 2006 kills the adsl conection in the network after a while. 2006 is the first distribution I regard a failure. Many inconsitencies and kde crashes (on a 2800 mhz machine with 1 gb ram!_. I'm tired of it and get back to mandrake 10.1

I also would like to note that this problems ONLY occures in M2006 and it has no problems in 10.1 Oficial :P

Since the (Linux) driver for the Yukon has some issues, checkout what's happening if you disable "PXE OPROM" (or something like that) within the computer BIOS.

PXE OPROM - that is defenetly not in my BIOS - what does it do ? :o

Note that if this were to happen the other way around - i.e. Linux being the majority platform, people would say: hey, MSWindows sucks, it can't start the network after I used Linux.

Whereas in Linux, if this kind of thing happens/happened, they just fixed the drivercode to remedy the issue.

I had FC4 and 10.1 OE before the 2006. The first ones worked fine. B)

Don't take this as a personal offence but I do not want to start a falme war on windows/linux there are many out there as it is.

Furthermore this is (in my opinon) a M2006 inconvenience not a Windows problem. :P

The only conclusions that I could come up are that the Linux Yukon Driver needs to changed or in some way try to workaround the problem so that when the system powers down it doesen't take the netwrok with it. :juggle:

Have a good day.

Edited by Ovidiu

Another thing might be worthwhile check is do you have an option in the BIOS for Plug and Play OS. If so, what is it set to? It best to disable, rather than let the Plug and Play be controlled by the OS. Can cause issues detecting hardware in Linux, and maybe could be a cause for what happens to Windows later.

I'm not sure, but it's worth a shot.