Mandriva 2006 installation

aRTee

Guest MrMandrake
MrMandrake, OpenOffice 2 was not on the MDV 2006 I downloaded, nor Thunderbird 1.5, nor Firefox 1.5. Not so difficult to remove old versions and type "tar xzvf <filename>" to get moving with the new ones. In Thunderbird and Firefox, you might like to look at one of the options in the Help menu. PaYasam.

I am aware that FF & Tbird 1.5's did not come with the ISO packages. I am talking about, as you said new installments.

I guess I will have to put up with the command line, until the KDE developers will include GUI installation of tar.gz ffiles.

Answer to scarecrow

Using a GUI for braindead CLI tasks is a great way to screw beyond repair what else would have been a pretty fast+trivial job..

Well, if Linux community wants to expands its user base from only gicks, and move into the general public. I guess your comment will serve the oposite purpose.

The only way Linux will be a viable comaptitive to Windows. it better open its doors to those of the window users, for them to be able to migrate to Linux as smooth as posible. I assure you, nobody will go back to DOS-like comand line, just because few tech savvies in the Linux world prefer it that way.

Using the KDE or GNOM Graphical interfaces is a major step.

Microsoft got its 95% share of the desktop market becasue they made it easy for dummys to use the OS. Not for any other reason.

Edited by MrMandrake

Guest Sopwith

Hi there

Tried to print off the Mandriva 2006 walk through as an aid to installation but could not get a good copy. All the diagrams were missing and most text lines were cut short. Have I done something silly, any ideas about how to get a raedable printed copy. Many thanks

Sopwith

Guest Sopwith

Hi there

Tried to print the Walkthrough information for Mandriva 2006 prior to trying to install it. My system has Windows XP home edition and MS Work.

Trying to print from the web site I got some of the text on RHS of page but many or most lines incomplete and the pictures were a line down extreme RHS. I cannot find a control to fit print to page width.

The second attempt was to use file/copy, open the word processor and past into a .rtf file. This gave all the text but I got no response from the pictures. Any suggestions about how to get text and pictures together please.

MS Works seems to have some problems, having talked to people still at work where some new computers have been introduced. Incoming email with attachments using diagrams loses the diagram format, they go full width/original height before or after any text. Outgoing mail with attachments cannot be opened by Word for text/pictures or Excel for spreadsheets.

Many thanks

Sopwith

Hi, I don´t know how to solve your problem but installation is pretty straight forward. I think there´s just one pitfall and that´s choosing to have the bootloader installed on the right drive/partition. Also chose the GRUB bootloader instead of Mandriva´s default LILO because it´s a bit safer in case you have to make some changes to your partitions or want to uninstall Mandriva or install an extra OS.

Sopwith, all I can think of is that having saved text as text, you save the individual graphics one by one in whichever graphics format they are in: right clicking on each should give you this option. Once all are done, recombine them with the text in a new file in a word processor. There is the alternative of screen captures of the individual graphics, but you'll get low resolution.

• 1 month later...

Here's what I did, Sopwith, with MDK 10.0 and 10.1. Didn't need to do it when installing MDV 2006 since the partitions were there already, but did it on a friend's computer. Defrag C:, D: and any others used by Windows. Adjust their sizes with a partitioning tool so that they have the space they need and there's enough space for the three (at least) Linux partitions you'll need. There are several such tools, including some free ones. I used a quite remarkable piece of work called BootIt NG. After that, just shove in the first CD of MDV and keep going. Or the DVD. Best to go slow and think ahead at every stage. I cannot agree or disagree with the statement about GRUB, since I have always used LILO without trouble.

You might find something if you search on this forum. All I can think of is another clean install, this time making sure to put in user name and password. Root (SU) will also need to be defined.