Mandriva 2006 installation

aRTee

My installation walkthrough for Mandriva Linux 2006 is now available, please check it out at: Mandriva Linux 2006 installation walkthrough.

For comments on my page, please go to this topic.

If you have comments or questions regarding the Mandriva Linux 2006 installation process, feel free to add them here.

Please open a separate topic for specific issues.

BTW:

Release Notes

Errata

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

aRTee: Thanks for your detailed installation write-up. I have ordered the 7CD version of 2006 Powerpack. My plan is to make a server out of an old Toshiba 4010CDT laptop (160 MB RAM, 12GB hdd). This laptop does not have a built-il LAN connection; so I will be using a 3COM PCMCIA card. Question: When should the card be inserted? Before, during, or after the installation.

Hi ambi,

thanks for the feedback.

As for your question, I'd say, first try with the card in the pcmcia slot before you start the installation. If all goes well (as it should, pcmcia is standard, and 3com NICs should all be supported), you can just setup your network connection during installation and be done with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's something which must rank at the top of the Cosmic Stupidity Scale. I'm pulling in the first of the three ISOs of 2006. When I have them all written to CD, what do I do? I did a clean install of 10.1 when I moved up from 10.0, which of course meant spending much time putting in again, and configuring, all the applications I used then. I also had to store data in safe places. Will it be possible now to upgrade without leaving a whole lot of junk floating about?

Hello again, payasam.

When you boot the first cd you will go through to a point where it will ask you whether you want to do an install or an upgrade. Just select the upgrade path and it will only install the upgrades of the packages you already have nstalled. Sometimes this can cause a few bugs later but in most cases it seems to work AOK.

If you have done the recommended thing of having /home on its own seperate partition then all your settings will remain intact even if you ultimately find it necessary to do a clean install all over again.

Cheers. John.

Hello, John. Been a while, hasn't it? All right about choosing the upgrade option. I wouldn't have known there is one as I did a clean install of 10.1 after 10.0. Yes, I have /home on a separate partition. Thanks for the hand-holding.

• 1 month later...
Guest MrMandrake

ARtree,

I do appreciate your detailed illustration on how to install the Mandrake 2006 correctly. It is very informatibve indeed.

One of my biggest frastration is installation of non-rpm s/w packages. Such as Firefox 1.5.02 or Thunderbird 1.5 or StarOffice 8 which use on my Windows system. Both Mozilla packages do not come as rpm in Mandriva.

Although myself is a former electrical engineer. By and large I am a "windows" guy. That is click-n-install. I really have no time, nor the inclination to learn all the intricate keyboard commands to install the s/w through the command line.

Forgive me, but I am looking for an easy and smooth installation avenue, which rpm seem to offer very well.

I have two questions please.

1. where on my disk do you recomment to install new application s/w (some suggest the /opt directory as most appropriate. Oher say /etc directory).

2. Is there any s/w which would enable me to use the root on non root midnight commander, to allow me to create a new directory on which I wish to install the new app. program. Then copy the s/w there. Then point and click for automatic installtion of the s/w on that particular directory.

thank you kindly

MrMandrake, if you are a Windows person, have what you need there, and are short of time, it's probably best that you stay there. No "intricate keyboard commands" are needed to install on Mandrake/Mandriva the software packages you name: of those, I have StarOffice 7, OpenOffice 2, Thunderbird and Firefox. All installed without a hitch, and I don't think any came as RPMs.

Guest MrMandrake
MrMandrake, if you are a Windows person, have what you need there, and are short of time, it's probably best that you stay there. No "intricate keyboard commands" are needed to install on Mandrake/Mandriva the software packages you name: of those, I have StarOffice 7, OpenOffice 2, Thunderbird and Firefox. All installed without a hitch, and I don't think any came as RPMs.

patasam,

I did install the FF 1.06 & OpenOffice 1.13 which came with the Mandrake 2006 CD, also w/o a hitch. I am talking about upgrading, or installing lates application s/w such as StarOffiec 8,, Thundabird & Firefox 1.5.02 which come as .tar.gz format. (instead of rpm)

I mean there ought to a better way to use KDE or GNOM interfaces to install these packages.

I´m not very apt with the command line either and prefer to do things graphicly anyways, commandlines are so 1985....

Anyway, you could just extract ff in your home directory and run from there or type kdesu konqueror and have konqueror launched as root or enable root logins as described here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...t=root+gdm.conf and then put the unzipped directory where you want it.

Don´t know which would be good paths though for installation...

(edit: fix link to correct thread)

Edited by ffi

MrMandrake, OpenOffice 2 was not on the MDV 2006 I downloaded, nor Thunderbird 1.5, nor Firefox 1.5. Not so difficult to remove old versions and type "tar xzvf <filename>" to get moving with the new ones. In Thunderbird and Firefox, you might like to look at one of the options in the Help menu. PaYasam.