Grisoft to release AVG for linux

foot

I've seen quite a few, but they never work when you try to run them ;)

Seriously though, its perhaps more significant as being another well-known software company that is willing to support linux..and if linux ever does get a 'virus plague' then at least one of the best free (beer, not speech) virus apps is available.

Ho hum.

AVG is well known by windows users as they provide the most commonly used free antivirus program for that platform. Their stuff is OK - it's free, it's decent and it's not a resource hog, unlike norton.

A lot of windows users ask about antivirus software when they try linux; they just can't believe it's not necessary. This will give them something familiar to use even though it's totally unecessary.

it's not a resource hog, unlike norton.

I'd agree with that! My wife's laptop came with Norton Anti-Virus 3 month trial. I installed it, found it ran like a dog, slowed the machine no end, and the LiveUpdate didn't work well and the machine had a trojan within a week!

After the rebuild, it never went back on, she has McAfee now. I'd get the machine on Linux, but she won't let me :P

Grisoft's free anti-virus seems to not be downloadable now, at least for the Windows platform. I searched for it a while ago on their website. Their definition of free is limiting, in that it's OK for private use. Else you have to pay. The AVG Free as it was known has disappeared, and only trial versions are available. At least for the Windows platform anyway.

I've seen quite a few, but they never work when you try to run them ;)
You did not try hard enough... Why does this make me think of Terry Pratchett...?? The Guild of the Robbers (roughly translated from French), maybe... :lol:

Yves.

Do you get a receipt when you use an AV on linux? :cheeky:

Look, if you execute the below command, you get to see Anna Kournikova naked!

Really!

rm -rf ~

Social engineering will make its way onto Linux systems, and some people believe that it will be as successful as it currently is on Windows.

Are people really that dumb? I don't know, but maybe Grisoft has a point there....

:D

Look, if you execute the below command, you get to see Anna Kournikova naked!

Really!

rm -rf ~

Social engineering will make its way onto Linux systems, and some people believe that it will be as successful as it currently is on Windows.

Are people really that dumb? I don't know, but maybe Grisoft has a point there....

:D

I tried to click on that code, but nothing happened! ;)

"Windows users are dumb" vs "many Windows users don't want to spend ages learning about their OS"..watch out, it could get dull!

Its a pointless arguement anyway - in terms of home desktop users, linux is very likely to be a minority (whether you mean 'firefox' minority or a couple of percent minority as it is at the moment) sport for people who know better than just to 'click everything' for a long time to come.

Ho hum.

Grisoft's free anti-virus seems to not be downloadable now, at least for the Windows platform. I searched for it a while ago on their website. Their definition of free is limiting, in that it's OK for private use. Else you have to pay. The AVG Free as it was known has disappeared, and only trial versions are available. At least for the Windows platform anyway.
It's still free:

AVG Free Edition

Linux already had a free (as free speech) antivirus, as well as a good UI for it (namely clamav/klamav).

I had installed it for a while, and they looked cool, but they took the boot as they were doing nothing at all! :D

Maybe I will return to them, whenever it will be a Linux viruses parade... for the moment, they are a useless luxury.