Mandriva 2006 configuration page

aRTee

You're worried about the kernel on a laptop not getting security updates? Hmm,...

wouldn't worry too much. In fact, unless it's a security hole that can be exploited if the firewall is up, I usually don't bother. Of course, my laptop and desktop are behind my FW...

I'd say go ahead, try the mm kernel - it may well work fine for you, it does for me.

I think most of the Lucent winmodems work - if I recall correctly, I have one of these, and in the past I have made it work; haven't bothered for Mdv05le and now Mdv06 since I've never had a use for it.

BTW Welcome to Mandrivausers! and most of all: enjoy Linux

:)

call me paranoid, but I feel better if I have a supported kernel running on my box

I'm sure the ltmodem works, it worked up until mdk 9.2 w/ kernel 2.4, but since I have no use for it I haven't tried since, as far as I'm informed there is a driver out there that works with kernel 2.6

I still think that the suspend problem is not directly related to the graphics-card, since many notebooks with nv-cards have the same probs, most of those are related to ACPI, which is still fairly new in the Linux-Kernel (at least the stable versions) maybe you should google for reports about Linux on your specific Notebook

thanks for the welcome, I'm a bit longer with Linux and Mandrake/Mandriva but only recently stumbled upon this site, must have been a bit blind the last few years :lol:

johnh123,

it depends also what you call ati cards - I have a Rage Mobility, it works fine.

lavaeolus, it's ok if you want to use a supported kernel; I actually think that it doesn't matter much, but it's your call. The bad part about that is that you most likely won't have suspend to disk working.

What you could also do is use kernel mm for the time being, until a security update comes out for the stock kernel, then switch to that one.

The graphics cards do have quite a bit to do with various suspend modes, in that they are often used with their proprietary drivers, and from the docs from ATI at least I gather that they don't find the suspend stuff interesting/important enough to work at it; besides, there are plenty of other things missing.

But lavaeolus is correct in that acpi is problematic. Not so much in the sense that it's new - it's been in the linux kernel for over 2 years (since before 2.6 I think).

The real problem is with broken implementations that the manufacturers then fix in the windows driver - so people don't know things are patched. Most commonly messed up are DSDT tables and such. And that can be problematic to fix, for popular notebook models it is usually doable to find info on how to fix them but not often without recompiling the kernel...

I'm waiting for the day that one can find Linux preloaded fully functional laptops that actually have a sticker that says: built for Linux.

I'm not holding my breath though... ;)

lavaeolus, you only recently stumbled upon this site? Man where else do you get your fix?? :D

another problem is, which driver do you use, the driver of your distribution/X.org/XFree or the closed-source ati-driver (which seems to be really ugly as far as I hear), a big problem with suspend is when the system tries to load or unload driver-modules, for example a plugged-in pcmcia-card can really ruin your day, your system wakes up after suspend, finds the card, tries to reload the driver-module and dies

If I would not be such a lazy guy, I could just use the mm-kernel until a new comes out, and then compile a new kernel, with the new sources and an mm-like config (at least if I find the additional patches I might need)

ok it's not that new, its in the kernel since before 2.4.20 or so, but this were backports from the experimental(2.5)-kernel, I once had the 2.4.21-kernel working with acpi, if I remember right this kernel had a strict standard-conform acpi-implementation, but most notebook-manufacturers seem to be uninterested in standards, they implement buggy BIOSes, patch the problems with a driver and the user has big problems if he wants to use another OS where he cannot use these drivers

at least in france mandriva sells hp-notebooks with their distro installed and in germany you could buy a hp with preinstalled Suse directly from hp and I know there are some IBMs with preinstalled Linux, so at least there is some hope... :D

so far I had no real problems with my systems, and since I learned computing in the old DOS-days, no problem with the command line, except that I sometimes try to use the wrong commands :lol:

btw, what notebook-model do you use, maybe someone has the same and had luck in getting it to work

update: both the mm-kernel and the i586-up-1GB-kernel allow me to Suspend-to-Disk, Suspend-to-RAM still seems not to work :cry: , some testing showed me that my synaptics-touchpad seems to be the ugly guy that won't unload its driver upon suspend and spoils a proper resume :angry:

my graphics-card is an ati radeon mobility M6 LY, in addition to acpi, acpid and suspend-scripts I have the suspend-scripts-force rpm installed on my system

there is a rpm called hibernate in contribs, it seems to be a different way to make your machine suspend (as far as I could get through it, it too uses swsusp2 but the scripts seem to be a bit different) and it seems you have to tweak the config a bit, but maybe it can help if the standard suspend scripts don't work

additional note: the swap-partition must be at least 30% more than your phisical RAM for a working Suspend-to-Disk

if it still does not work perhaps you could update your BIOS too, sometimes the manufacturers correct some of their ugly BIOS-Code

hope this helps

Edited by lavaeolus

• 2 months later...
Guest VortexICS

I have a Thinkpad T30 with Mandriva 2006 Free Edition. I had installed madwifi drivers for my wifi card but was not able to make hibernate/s-t-d work with the default kernel.

That's when I switched to the mm-kernel and both features worked instantly ! Now, I would love to keep the mm-kernel but I have not been able to make the madwifi drivers work with that kernel anymore ...

I really do not want to be switching kernels everytime just to have wifi or hibernate. Any suggestions ??

• 4 weeks later...
Guest VortexICS

Hey, I almost forgot to thank you for your configuration website, it has been incredibly helpful and is without a doubt a great source of information, specially for laptop users with linux os.

Merci mon ami :)