Mandriva 2006 installation walkthrough

aRTee

Guest mekhyl

Hi

The walkthrough of installation is great! I have a query. I already have 10.1 running. I wanna replace it with 2006. Now, you have suggested that I do not go in for an 'Upgrade' but do an 'Install' and 'use existing partitions'. I agree that it is better and I do have /home on a different partition. But, what about users on this old installation? Naturally, since I don't touch the /home partition, the user directories will remain unaffected. But I format the / partition, so the user records get deleted. How do I create users in the new installation such that they correspond to the older users and these users are able to access their old data on the untouched /home/<username> directories? Obviously, the fresh installation asks for a new user to be created. What if I enter the same names as the older users? I think even you have changed from an older Mandrake to 2006. How did you do the user mapping? In the walkthrough, you create a user called 'martina'. Was there a user in the older installation with the same name and having /home/martina directory? Can the new 'martina' access that directory? Or do I have to login as root and transfer the data from the older /home/<username> directories to the newly created ones and then later delete the old ones? Help me out here, I'm sure you can!

Mikhil

Edited by mekhyl

Welcome aboard. :)

How do I create users in the new installation such that they correspond to the older users and these users are able to access their old data on the untouched /home/<username> directories?

If you want to do this, you can simply create the users as normal. E.g. if you had "Bob" and "Bill", then you can set up "Bob" and "Bill" again when you install Mdv 2006. If Bob had the identity number 500 and Bill 501, then create Bob first, then add Bill. That way the numbers will remain the same. If you don't know, which number corresponded to which user, then create the accounts nonetheless. If login fails, switch to a terminal as root and launch

chmod -R Bob:Bob /home/Bob

chmod -R Bill:Bill /home/Bill

and everything will be fine.

If you need more help on that, report back and create a new topic for that. :)

I just did this myself last Sunday.

I had my old users on the /home partition when I did the install.

When the installer got to the Create Users part, it found those user directories on /home and grabbed the information, proposing user names which were the same as the old ones. I simply added some information such as Real Name and password and clicked Accept. The users were created in /etc/passwd with the same user and group ID's as they had before.

Each time I clicked Accept, the installer posted another one of the existing users until they were all created and then it posted a blank slate for creating new users. When I finally booted the new system the same old users were there, and the permissions were fine.

Be warned that it is looking for directory names as "users". I had a bogus directory in /home and it created a "user" for it.... D'oh. So, just make sure before the installation that you have only user directories right under /home and it should just work.

Banjo

(_)=='=~

• 1 month later...
Guest get carter

Hi

As a noob I appreciate very much the guidance given in your mandriva installation walkthrough, but I have had difficulties printing this article off, as Firefox only allowed me to print off 1 page of it and not the whole article, while internet explorer totally screwed up the formatting when printing.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

cheers

Carter

• 8 months later...
Guest nene6466
My installation walkthrough for Mandriva Linux 2006 is now available, please check it out at: Mandriva Linux 2006 installation walkthrough.

If you have any comments to that page, please respond here. I'll be tracking this topic for (spelling, grammar, whatever) corrections, additions, any kind of feedback.

Let me know if you like it, and if there's things you don't like, tell me what they are.

Thanks, and happy installing!

aRTee

PLEASE HELP

AFTER MY INSTALLATION WENT ALL THE WAY THRU AND I GET THE CONGRAT SCREEN I TRY TO LOG IN.

USER NAME AND PASSWORD OK.BUT THEN

LAST LOG IN:WED JAN 31 14:24:17 ON TTY1

[eugenio@localhost~]xxxxxxxx

NOW WHAT GOES IN xxxxxxxx?. ANYTHING I WRITE GIVES ME "COMMAND NOT FOUND"

AND I CAN'T LOG IN. THANK IN ADVANCE.

i havent read the article but i would venture a guess that

[eugenio@localhost~] startx

would do the trick of getting you into the GUI. if that does it then try visiting the mandrake control center (or type mcc in a terminal) and in the booting options(?) set it to always enable X during startup.

or edit /etc/inittab and replace the runlevel from 3 to 5.

and last note, please minimize the use of all-caps when posting. that amounts to shouting and can be taken the wrong way by somebody who is having a very bad day. :)

ciao!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest thelasersailor

I am having a similar problem of not loading the GUI. On startup it asks for localhost login. If i log in as root and type startx it gives the message Fatal server error: no screens found and failed to load module i810 amongst other things. Please could someone help and try to keep it simple as I am a linux newbie.

• 3 months later...
Guest ainiseoir
My installation walkthrough for Mandriva Linux 2006 is now available, please check it out at: Mandriva Linux 2006 installation walkthrough.

If you have any comments to that page, please respond here. I'll be tracking this topic for (spelling, grammar, whatever) corrections, additions, any kind of feedback.

Let me know if you like it, and if there's things you don't like, tell me what they are.

Thanks, and happy installing!

aRTee

Its excellent, my problem is I can't get that far.

I have an old PC with a spare HDD on which I had hope to practice

I have a much newer laptop.

I made CD-rom the boot option for both.

Put in Mandriva Linux One which I received today and failed on both machines.

Just get the 2 orange splash screens then .......nothing.

I have to pull the plug pretty well to get back to Windows and sanity.

I had thought that my PC was a little low on spec, but that should not have been a problem with the laptop.

Must be a common factor, can't think of what it could be.