Mandriva 2006 installation walkthrough

aRTee

My installation walkthrough for Mandriva Linux 2006 is now available, please check it out at: Mandriva Linux 2006 installation walkthrough.

If you have any comments to that page, please respond here. I'll be tracking this topic for (spelling, grammar, whatever) corrections, additions, any kind of feedback.

Let me know if you like it, and if there's things you don't like, tell me what they are.

Thanks, and happy installing!

aRTee

Edited by aRTee

I think it's so easy a walkthrough is unnecessary. :drum: :D

Great job though, aRTee, newbies will love it!!

Maybe make a link to it in the "Mandrake installation" forum if you haven't already

Edited by solarian

From the walkthrough: "Done! It took just over than one hour, not bad for a full system install."

Hey, maybe let's create a race, who can do it in the shortest time? :D

Usually it takes about 20mins for my setup. (And that is why I love that installer. Debian.... shrugs)

Well done, aRTee, as always.

May I suggest that you include a link to the 2006 Errata website:

http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main...Linux2006Errata

Though newbies might be scared by these notes, but I got the feeling that we see some serious problems in 2006, with xorg, cpu usage and kat. Hopefully updates will be available soon.

--chris (12 minutes install time)

Thanks a lot for your feedback everyone!

Just noticed quite a few images and some text is there that I commented out.... it's from the 2005le install.

I agree it's so simple, no one should need it.

But the point is that some people are uncomfortable or downright scared, and want to know what things may look like. This page is to appease them. Remember, many people have no or very limited experience with installing an Operating System.

Now after seeing the screenies, and reading a bit of how things work, they may be more confident and prepared to take the plunge.

I even get thank-you emails from people about the installation page specifically.

I remember for 10.1 I got a mention on OSNews and people sneered that if Mdk 10.1 needs an installation review, it's really crappy, and should go the way of the dodo or get with the program. This page is not for people who've ever done a Linux installation successfully. It's for people who are uncomfortable with new things but are interested enough to try. After seeing what it should/could be like, they may be more open to trying - it sure doesn't look difficult, but if you don't know that, you may not want to take the plunge.

If my site has over 800.000 hits and I get a couple of emails thanking me for the install walkthrough, that it helps them build up enough courage to actually try it, then find that their installation is really just like that, and that 'hey, Linux is a piece of cake to install', there are probably plenty more people who get what they need from it, so I think this page merits to exist.

I mean, we all see linux beginners on the net claiming that Linux _is_ easier to install than 'some other' systems, because they never believed it could be that simple, and they realise that those who never tried are like they were just before they gave it a try.

Solarian - I think that one hour is an older comment, at least on my desktop it was clearly less than that, and on my laptop the system installation step itself (from local hd) was done in 20 minutes.

Note that I always select packages by hand (gkrellm, openssh-server, mplayer-gui and then some), which takes time since I always have to think what I wanted extra. Oh, and then I have the network laserprinter and such things to configure...

I may put a message in the installation forum, with a link - I just wanted feedback from you guys first to make sure I didn't make any blatant mistakes or so.

Anna, you're ahead of me - I always put the errata and release notes links on my config page, which is also coming up. (Among other things because the config page gets read more - experienced people just skip the installation page.) 'Soon' I hope. But I guess I can also include the links on this page.

And also coming up, since this is not a Limited Edition, a Review. Yes, I'm at it again. Home alone, the mrs is on holiday and I had none left... so why not spend some time on the computer?

Walkthrough looks great, and 2006 looks nice and slick from those screenshots. For those lucky lucky people who get a fancy graphical installer with their Mandriva... (grumble grumble, I only get a text one with mine...)

Sounds like you've got too much time on your hands though, why don't you take a break tomorrow and get a :beer: in Altstetten? :)

I'm new to Linux and have recently become a Mandriva Club member. I downloaded the four-CD 2006 PowerPack via FTP and installed it without much problem. Your account was helpful in this regard. However, during installation a 5th and 6th CD is requested, but the PowerPack set has only four, so what went wrong? How can I get these two additional ISOs ? For example, DigiKam was not installed, and none of my digital cameras are being detected (Canon G5, A40). Thanks.

1. You don't need those cd's for installation, those are just extra.

2. You can get all the software you need (including the one on those extra cds) through easy-urpmi (see at the top of this website)

3. To install digikam launch a terminal (konsole) type "su root" then "urpmi digikam", it will be installed.

4. Install gtkam too, it should detect your digital cameras.

5. good luck ;)

Follow the info on my config page - you are a regular clubmember, therefor you deserve lesser service. Or so. Well, let's say that Mandriva had to come up with some distinction between the silver members and bronze/regular.

So basically, you don't have those 5th and 6th cds.

None of that should really worry you, the point is that you just have to set up urpmi as the page shows - if you look at the very top of this very page you're reading now, you will see a link called Easy-urpmi. Click it, and do the three step setup.

In case of trouble open a topic on the respective subforum here.

Enjoy Linux!

I'd be very surprised if you didn't have digikam on your CDs. You should have everything you need, but maybe not everything was installed. Use the "Install software" from the main menu (here on LE2005 it's in System - Configuration - Packaging, might be different in 2006) and search for digikam. Select the checkbox, and click 'Install'. It'll ask you for your CDs again to install the stuff, easy as that.

Digikam should have no problems detecting your camera - it's very powerful.