Is Mandriva 2006 586 64bit only?

Guest Zeniq

I've used and enjoyed Mandrake 8.0 about 4 years ago but took a break from Linux since all my media dev apps required Windows. Last week I decided to put Linux back on my non-work machine and hearing about the new version (now Mandriva), I went to LinuxCentral to order Mandriva Linux 2006 (7 CD Set). It said it was for the "Intel" processor for which catagory listed other x86 distributions so I figured I was safe since I needed a 32bit distro.

I paid for 2nd day air (which was more than the cost of the CD's) and they just arrived today. Well to my disappointment:

The first CD was corrupt, unreadable, or blank in my CDRW drive. Fine, maybe it's a DVD.

The second CD was a boot disc and after pressing enter at the Linux prompt for installation, I was greeted with the message:

Your processor does not support long (something). Try a 32bit distribution.

I looked at the RPM contents of all 6 readable CD's and the filenames all contained 586 in them. Am I mistaken to think that 586 is for 32bit processors? If so, the site I ordered them from did not mention this and doesn't even list a second distribution for 64bit.

Or is the first CD NOT a DVD but a 32bit boot disc that actually is corrupt?

I'm on a 28.8 dialup connection and cannot spend months downloading ISO's so ordering them like this is my only option. There is no highspeed where I live.

ANY help would be very much appreciated.

So 586 and 686 are 64bit, which means I need either 386 or 486 right?

I have a PIII class Celeron 533MHz. Mendocino I believe.

The CD's didn't come from Mandriva, they were from LinuxCentral.. are you saying Mandriva will exchange them anyway? That would be nice =)

No, if they are not from Mandriva, they will not change it. Then you should contact Linuxcentral directly and see if anything can be done.

The i586 and i686 does define the processor for which the software is compiled for optimal performance. It does not mean that you should look for an i386 or i486 Mandriva (there is none!). The difference between the 32 and 64 bit versions is: the 32 bit version is the x86 package while the 64 bit version is x86-64.

So I take it the first disc is NOT a DVD and is the normal 32bit boot CD, whereas CD 2 is for alternate configs including 64bit?

I've contacted LinuxCentral about this and I'm still waiting for a response.

i don't know about the powerpack discs, but typically the download cd's have the first cd which is mandatory for install and the second and third cd's carry extra functionality and more apps. perhaps this is the same for the powerpack discs.