Mandriva 2006 stumbles

wilcal

aRTee, check out my post here:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...22&hl=konqueror

That kded thing was a widely reported bug in mdk10.1 as well. My post in the above thread deals with a workaround:

I tried to open konqueror from the command line and it just would hang w/o any error message. I then opened up another console to check the running processes with:

$ ps aux

and a process called "kded" was taking up 95% of my cpu!!! A little googling around and I came across this solution which seems to work:

The problem is with mountwatcher.desktop which is part of kded. It needs to be disabled but it's not easy to do that. First go to /usr/share/services/kded and you will see mountwatcher.desktop. It doesn't look like a text config file but it is; open it with your favorite text editor as root. Go to the last line which will read something like this:

X-KDE-Kded-load-on-demand=true

Change "true" to "false", save the changes. Go to kde control center>LookNFeel>Behavior>Device Icons and untick the "Show device icons" box. Log out and log back in.

Does this workaround still leave kded running? It is needed for Kat.

Thanks pmpatrick, will give that a go.

Strange, I've never run into this before,...!

Edit:

Silly me, after reading that other topic I understand I have run into it before -- see my reaction there. But this is different, the system keeps working fine, and I can still open new konqueror instances etc....

So in a way, this issue is different than other things I've seen before...

Edited by aRTee

• 2 weeks later...

I have experienced the same things in 2006,especially kded and cpu overload. Really Mandriva had made a good stuff (mandy 2006) for us, but I wonder why did not they make high efforts according stability and reliability. These two factors reinforce that linux deserves to be given a chance in both support and use. Do not forget, we do not like to see another mswindows-like linux. At the same time I would like to express my gratitudes to Mandriva for the solid efforts. Thanks a lot.

Fahd

Comment of one colleague to whom I passed Mdv2006:

"The best and easiest OS installation EVER!"

This guy has seen his share of Linux distros, and has always found MSWin to be easier. Until a few days ago.

With CentOS he had to fiddle to get his tvcard to work - which I think he didn't manage; it worked out of the box. With some info from my website on lirc he managed to get his remote to work - now he has some config left to do, but all in all I've rarely seen someone so ecstatic about a new Linux...

I'm seeing some high loads, but not logrotate or kat - in my case it's 'kded', no clue what process that is.

The cpu load can go up to 100% and stay there - for hours!

I left my wifes machine like that, and checked back later - still 100% loaded. I've actually deinstalled kat on that machine, it was slowing it down too much...

And I'm seeing a lot of 'wrong signatures' for packages, even lots of packages on the dvd. This is not good, teaching people to ignore that - whereas those sigs should be the thing preventing trojans from entering the system..!

I've not seen any of the Xorg issues - for me all my 3 systems are fine except for the points mentioned above.

so.. is that cpu overloading a bug or is it sold as a feature?

I mean - are they working on fixing it?

I'm not going to switch to the new Mandriva if it stays such,

10.2 is as stable as it can get and everything works wonderfully

so.. is that cpu overloading a bug or is it sold as a feature?

I mean - are they working on fixing it?

I'm not going to switch to the new Mandriva if it stays such,

10.2 is as stable as it can get and everything works wonderfully

I haven't read through this topic so I assume you are talking about the CPU overload caused by kat. You can switch it off or uninstall it. The other CPU overload bug is caused by acpid logrotate, whatever it means and is affected only those machines that run 24 hrs a day. There's an easy solution to that also.

The IMHO most serious bug is caused by the new x server, and no official fix for that.

thanks for the info

it seems that I'll wait a few more months or till the next version of Mandriva (if security updates aren't terminated), I like it stable

Besides I have a ntfs partition, so that's one more bug (related to shutdown)

p.s.

top - 14:40:19 up 28 days, 14:11,  1 user,

thanks for the info

it seems that I'll wait a few more months or till the next version of Mandriva (if security updates aren't terminated), I like it stable

Besides I have a ntfs partition, so that's one more bug (related to shutdown)

p.s.

top - 14:40:19 up 28 days, 14:11,  1 user,

No sec updates won't be terminated. That would be a suicide.

I wouldn't worry about the high cpu load - I have also deinstalled kat on my machine - the related high loads were from kded and mhonarc, but kat caused those to do whatever they were doing.

They are working on solutions, I guess with a 120GB /home partition mostly used by one user, kat has a bit much on its hands to catalog...

Just deinstall it and you'll be fine.

On the other hand, if you're happy with your current system, just keep it and update the latest stuff that came out, new FF, new OOo2 and then some, and you'll be fine.

BTW, my uptime:

$ uptime

14:56:00 up 149 days, 15:28,  1 user,  load average: 0.60, 0.73, 0.81

That's from my server, the old machine I had, before I got this one and loaded it with Mdv05LE, was running for over 450 days on Mdk9.2. Three vnc + icewm sessions, no X local.

Some claimed that Mdk was not stable, has only recently gotten good, etc. Nonsense. 450 days is really nothing to laugh about; I used to joke to colleagues who used 'some other platform' that no-one on that platform could have the uptime I had - some nasty trojans and worms had come up in Feb 04, and again in April, so they had all had to reboot... Well, not that it matters, but anyone telling around that Mdk wasn't stable just had no clue.

So I agree if you're happy, don't change, but you will not have a lesser experience if you do change; just typing urpme kat is all it needed for me.

I've been running mandrake/mandriva since 8.1 mainly on notebooks but had never any showstopping problems, some things like the modem or suspend did not work properly from the start, the switch to acpi was a bit hurting at the beginning, but so far I can't tell mandriva unstable, I never had a real lockup, at least not if I didn't try anything really silly, this is something I can't say about the Win XP on my gaming box

I cannot coment about the kat problem, because I did not install it (I must admit, I did not find it worth the effort, I still know where my files are scattered around, so I do not need it) and therefore don't have any problems with it

So far I had no problems with X.org

so if you don't need kat you will get a really stable system