Mandriva 2006 - i586 or x86_64

RVDowning

I'm about to download Mandriva 2006, but am not sure for which architecture I should download.

I have an AMD64 3000+ processor. Have I read correctly that if one installs the 64 bit version of Mandriva that there might be only limited applications that will run on it?

Any suggestions on which way to go?

Would you reference what you read? As far as I am aware, the 64 bit versions are fine. You have a 64 bit processor, so I would suggest running a 64 bit os. On the other hand, and perhaps this is what the article alluded to, architecture and linux have out-paced programing. 64 bit programing is lacking at the moment. However, 32 bit programs work fine in Mandriva.

Unless one really cares for the latest macromedia flash support on the browser and for playing windows media files ( .wmv) - there seems to be no problem with Mandriva 2006 ( I have installed RC2 and updated with the packages from cooker when it was frozen). Runs fine on my Athlon64 3000+!

For using macromedia flash you have to use 32bit firefox and for playing wmv files you might want to use the 32-bit xine-lib xine-uii and win32-codecs( which is available from plf). Some limited flash is supported on the 64-bit port with gplflash.

Otherwise - I think it is a fine distro.

Only complaint I have ( though it is not mandriva's fault) is that I cannot compile xfce3 on 64bit.( Yes, I am a sucker for CDE!!!)

A.

Edited by arshadmomen

I wasn't referring to any specific article, rather just to a general impression I had formed from reading snippets here and there on various newsgroups. (These items may have been referring to amd64 not x86_64.)

In fact, I have seen downloads that come in a version for Mandriva 10.1.amd64 and 10.1.x86_64.

Is there really a difference between amd64 and x86_64 architectures?

Getting confused.