Accessing other drives

Guest davidgypsy

Guest davidgypsy

Simple question: How do I access another Linux distributions drive? I have Suse installed, and now that I installed Mandriva 2006 I would like to access the Suse drive and get my data.

Thank you so much.

It will probably be auto-mounted under /mnt. Look there. The name format will be hda[number] or sda[number] if you have a SATA or SCSI drive. Poke around until you find the one you know is the SuSe drive.

Guest davidgypsy
Yes with the mount command (man mount). The format should be something like this:

mount <TheDriveYouWantToMount> <TheDirYouWantToMountItTo>

If there is no dir then make one. Oh before using CLI try to mount it in the MCC I'm sure somehow it can be done there too.

Er... is that English? :P Go slow, I am somewhat new to this. Could you please explain step by step? So sorry for the inconvenience.

Open a terminal (black monitor icon). Log in as root (type "su" and the root password). Now you can mount drives. It goes as easy as this:

assuming that hda is your Mandy harddrive and hda1 = Mandy /root; hda2= swap; hda3= /home

and

hdb = your Suse drive; hdb1= Suse /root; hdb2= Suse /home, then mounting e.g. the Suse /home partition would be:

mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb1 /mnt

mount -t Filesystem (ext3/ext2/reiserfs/...) "device with partition to mount" on "Mandy /mnt folder"

You can of course add subfolders to /mnt, thus changing the mount point to e.g. /mnt/suse or something like that.

Now your partition should be mounted and accessable with e.g. Konqueror. You might however encounter obstables, that is missing permissions for the user to alter any of the files. If you need to copy any files from drive A to B, then do it as root and change the permissions later. We can guide you through that.

Good luck :)

Also, if your SuSe partition is on the same hard drive as your Mandy one, then it will be hda(number), but it it's on a different drive, it will be hdb(number). hda, hdb refer to the whole drive, hdabcwhatever(number) refer to one partition on it.