please suggest a live distro

hi there!

I interested a few of my friends (they are brothers) in Linux, they liked my Mandriva setup and want to test it on their pc, but they know nothing of Linux and they don't want to screw up anything, so a LIVE cd is a natural choice.

Here I ask you to suggest some good and linux newbie friendly LIVE cd's other than Knoppix.

Imho, Knoppix makes a too crowded appearance and I'm almost sure that it will just confuse them.

I use Knoppix myself as a rescue cd, but they don't need that, just a fancy and easily usable Linux presentation.

So, which ones would you suggest?

Thanks!!

How abuot Mandriva Move? Although it doesn't have an installer, it is good for experimenting with Linux. Other suggestions would be Ubuntu live, Beatrix, Mepis or Elive17 (if you are keen on E17). But actually, there are so many that it is hard to give a good answer.

Kanotix, or Slax... both shine.

For total n00bs, PCLinuxOS ain't bad at all, despite its obvious shortcomings (for advanced Linux users, that is).

Having used just about everything, i"m utterly impressed by Kanotix- but due to the recent major changes in Debian Sid you may wish to wait for the next release (2005.4) which will be totally xorg based. It's supposed o be out pretty soon.

Edited by scarecrow

shrugs

PcLinuxOS looks like Windows (just looked at some screenshots),

I don't want to present them a Linux distro that looks like a Windows clone (my computer, et al),

granted though, it looks very newbie friendly.

What I am doing now is downloading all those what you suggested and will testrun them on a virtual machine with the help of VMware.

p.s. Isn't Mandriva Move outdated? It's based on 10.1, yes?

p.p.s. Kanotix looks really nice, not a rescue cd though, but that's not what I need anyway.

edit: thanks, scarecrow! Kanotix really does look good, I like the feel. Thanks for the advice!

Edited by solarian

What's the difference between Mepis and SimplyMepis? :unsure:

edit: Their homepage is even worse than that of Mandriva's!!.

Can't find anything good, just drolling Windows converts and lots of useless marketspeak.

Edited by solarian

Mepis is Kanotix for the Windows-impaired users... A mix of Debian "testing" and "unstable" (while Kanotix is 100% Sid/unstable), suspiciously built custom kernels, and cheapo GUI tools for basic system administration. I'm not impressed at all either- surely enough there are plenty of better Debian clones out there.

I tried Damn Small Linux, and I'm impressed: it is fast, and it includes Firefox, and it can even run Firefox without pain on my old laptop (see "nomade" in signature).

Besides, if burn it on a small 8cm CD, and you come by your friend and boot this single tiny CD, and they see this cool desktop appearing with instant access to the LAN, it IS impressing!

Not the best for showing the common Linux apps though (OO.org, Thunderbird, Gnome/KDE, MCC ;) and so on)

Yves.