Tomorrow is the day?

blackhat101

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm downloading slowly but surely... around 100KB/s, not too bad.

There's also a new Live CD called Discovery Live. Time to replace Move I guess.. ;)

Looks like some nice times ahead, I hope Mdv 2006 rocks the way it should!

You call that slow??? :cheeky:

Yeah, when I plucked RC2 off an FTP server it was coming in at 250KB/s...

Anyway, overnight it came in, and I have started on downloading some other versions, the live cd for instance.

ddmcse, make sure you try also with the multimedia kernel - that one gets many more patches, only with that one does my laptop do suspend to ram AND suspend to disk properly. Not sure if this will be the same with 2006 of course, but it is one more thing to try...

Cooker has the exact same release so why wait for the iso. Cooker is rock solid right now so forget fighting for a spot in the 2006 line and just grab the cooker!

Cooker is already unfrozen, it's not 2006 anymore, expect some system failures.

I deeply doubt that anyone just after finishing 2006 has already started working on something new.

As for me I'm unsure about getting 2006 atm, everything works just wonderful on my 2005, there is no need to update for me atm.

p.s. I don't like KAT, eats too much resources.

I can only say what I read on the club forums e.g. from Adam among others. Work in 2006 is finished over a week now. They were testing ISOs and the early seeders got the stuff. The devel/2006.0 tree is not cooker. It's an intermediate thing because it's not frozen. Some packagers post some new stuff there others don't, it's up to them. And bugfixes are also automatically posted there by one of Warly's script.

The clubmember dvd makes you lazy - all was there, except stuff I want from plf (which will never be there) and contrib (mostly to go with plf stuff, but also some other stuff like globulation2...

My wife is away for 2 weeks, so I just installed on my laptop and 2 desktops.

As for 10.1 a review is forhcoming, along with my config and install pages.

For now I have only found one serious issue and that is that pwc webcams apparently have been downgraded to deliver stamp size images - something to do with philiips patents on compression. Not quite sure if they are completely out of the main kernel, but I think that's it....

:(

Other than that, things look fine.

2006 seems fine and all that - boots up faster than 2005LE, even with more services disabled though I can't seem to get the transparency / shading features working within KDE even after adding the Composite section to Xorg (no biggie as I'd probably just switch it off soon after anyway).

The wallpaper is a lot better, though it would be nice if they (in KDE) got some design people in to spruce up the default setup - the defaults for the kicker wallpaper, desktop fonts, some of the look and feel choices (such as the bouncing cursor follower thingy), sounds and icons are dull or just plain wrong. Its no bother to change it all to something a little nicer, but the defaults are what appear on reviews and screenies.

The music for the KDE intro is just wrongwrongwrong.

Edit: How long will it take for the easyurpmi entry to appear for 2006?

Edited by foot

How is the USB recognition and has anyone tried virtual networks through VMware, do they work?

(I'm asking this because rc2 had problems with these)

i'm using vmware 4.5.2 on 10.2 with vmware-any-any-update93

i have installed the same versions on 2006 and it seems to be working