Help me - Problems with Mandriva 10.2 - No GUI

Guest taylanator

Guest taylanator

I just need to know how to fix this problem, I don't get the gui at boot instead a dos like login screen and I login and it does nothing, I tried loading startx but it says the following:

failed to load modlule /usr/x11r6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a

fatal server error fatal error 104

no screens found

what do I do? keep in mind I am new to linux in general but I am an experianced pc user

PLEASE HELP ME :help:

Login with your username and password that you set up. Then type the following:

su (supply root password when prompted)
mcc

then choose display using the arrow keys, tab key to move to OK button, and enter to select OK. Then go through the options, and test it to make sure it works, then you should hopefully be OK.

Did you install any vendor- specific nvidia or ATi video drivers?

It seems that the gl module is already loaded, so a second attempt to load it fails. The reason is (usually) a duplicate entry at /etc/X11/xorg.conf, you have to remove one reference to the gl driver to get your X running.

Edited by scarecrow

Guest taylanator

Well, I have a intel graphics chip, 915 so the drivers apear in the linuxs' list but it doesn't seem to be working. I tried mcc to change the display settings but NONE of the resolution/color depth resolutions work! I tried almost all of them if not all and when I got to test it, it starts but them comes up with the same error message. so what do I do know? I am sure it is something simple I almost have it running just need to find out how to get the gui up. PLEASE help, thanks for the help so far guys. keep it commin and I am sure someone smart will find out what it is.

thanks

Have you tried visiting the Intel site, and downloading their driver? I have an Intel 82852/82855 card in my laptop, and couldn't get it to work with the ones with native 10.1 Official, although it would with LE2005.

Chances are you'll need to download their driver, but make sure you're kernel-source is installed before you install, else you'll get problems.

Login as root

urpmi mc

mc

Navigate to the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf, press F4 to edit it, and comment (by adding # at the start of the line) whatever refers to "glx" or "libgl- something". Press F2 to save.

Open another virtual console (alt+ctrl+F2 to F6), login as normal user and then run "startx" again.

Guest taylanator
Login as root

urpmi mc

mc

Navigate to the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf, press F4 to edit it, and comment (by adding # at the start of the line) whatever refers to "glx" or "libgl- something". Press F2 to save.

Open another virtual console (alt+ctrl+F2 to F6), login as normal user and then run "startx" again.

I did it, that particular message doesn't come up now, but now it says,

(WW) I810: No matching device for instance (busID PCI:0:2:1) Found

(EE) No devices detected

fatal server error:

no screens found

I have tried different screen modes but still nothing, I get that error

PLEASE HELP

so on mandrake 10.1, we had to use the vesa driver on my wife's card (geforce fx) to get the drivers. perhaps you might have to set your driver to something fairly rudimentary to get things to work.

The part of your xorg.conf file that refers to the graphics card should use "i810", that is something like that:

Section "Device"

Identifier "devname"

Driver "i810"

EndSection

After editing, start X.

For more details about this driver, check here

If you still have issues then it should be something kernel related (actually I don't think so, the kernel revision used in 2005LE is fairly new).

Edited by scarecrow

Try disabling ACPI. I found out that some integrated graphic solutions simply won't work if ACPI is enabled.

At the lilo screen, press ESC, then type

linux acpi=off

If it works, use Mandriva Control Center to disable ACPI. It's in boot section I believe.