Epson scanner [solved]

AussieJohn

Have installed an IEEE-1394 FireWire card and it is detected AOK and shows up in MCC Hardware. This is in 2006-2beta.

My Epson 2450 Photo Scanner is connected to the card via appropiate firewire cable.

In Windows2000, the card and the scanner are detected and setup and functioning perfectly.

In 2006-2beta, the scanner is not detected at all. I have installed practically everything that seems to be ieee or 1394 related. In /etc/sane.d/Epson.conf there is no mention of firewire or 1394, only scsi or usb. Usb has not been working anyway, although it works in 2006-1beta. Xsane also refuses to open.

I have searched through /dev but cannot see anything that relates to firewire or scanners and I really don't know what I am looking for.

Does anyone have any experience with firewire in Linux and also with Scanners connected to firewire ???.

I have listed here in hardware because I feel it is a hardware install enquiry rather than a cooker related problem or situation.

Cheers. John.

Hhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllppppppppppppppppp.

Doesn't anyone have any knowledge or experience with Firewire in Mandriva or Linux generally with and/or scanners in particular ????.

Surely someone has.

John.

Thank you everyone for your overwhelming offers of help and encouragement. Not.

Admins and mods you can close this one as solved.

I did it myself. I found that by doing a clean reinstall of Mandriva2005-LE while the firewire card was installed that it was detected and installed the necessarys required for successful scanner detection which was done automatically. No way could I find what was needed to detect the scanner although the firewire card was detected AOK when I added the card to an already installed 2005-LE.

Exactly the same applied to the 2006 version, namely added card after original install and scanner gave in/out errors and not detected. Reinstall (not upgrade) of 2006-2beta and scanner again worked perfectly, and has done throughout upgrading to the now full 2006.

John.

I have listed here in hardware because I feel it is a hardware install enquiry rather than a cooker related problem or situation.

John - It's probably because it relates to cooker that you didn't get a response - a lot of us stick with stable versions... :)

In any case, all problems with cooker belong in Cooker forum, so I'll move it there to be tidy. :cheeky:

It was NOT a cooker related problem.

It still has NOTHING to do with cooker. As I said earlier it also was a problem with Mandriva2005-LE. Namely if you had the OS already installed and then fitted the firewire card then the scanner would not work, but if you did the OS install with the card already fitted then everything worked AOK.

I think the question was just ignored.

John.

I think maybe when you mentioned 2006-2beta that might have caused the confusion.

I've been building a gentoo installation these past few days, but there is a thought that might explain what was happening to you.

You say, when you plug them in after the OS has been installed, that it doesn't pick them up. Was harddrake running? I know if this is disabled, new hardware is not detected when the machine is configured, and therefore has to be enabled, rebooted, and then the hardware is detected. I've experienced this myself in MDK 10.1 Official.

If you had harddrake enabled, and it didn't detect them, then there's something else that might have caused a problem. The kernel may not have had the modules for the card configured into them.

This could explain that when you reinstalled the OS that it worked. This would be because you're building a clean system, and all the hardware is detected, and perhaps the kernel is built during the installation to take care of this.

I only just thought of this because when installing gentoo, you're building the system from scratch, and have to make a kernel and include all your devices. The GUI install for Mandriva might actually do all this for you, but I could be wrong!

Thanks ianw, and to spinynorman for joining in.

Harddrake was the very first thing I always tried.

The card was always detected and showed up in hardware aok in correct detail. (Original details and now present details are the same).

The problem was that XSANE could not detect the scanner attached to the card and nowhere in sane could I find any references to other than scsi or usb scanners.

Now in KDE Control Centre ----> Peripherals -------> ieeee1394 devices, I now get the detail of the scanner as shown in the screenshot, but earlier this area was blank although the window was there. I remember that this window was not there before the firewire card was installed. So it would seem that the problem was not so much about the firewire card as it is about the sane scanner detection and setup. No amount of fiddling around in MCC--> Scanners could fix the problem yet with a clean reinstall, everything about the scanner set up automatically and has consistantly worked perfectly including my2006-2beta newly upgraded to 2006 official as well as my 2005-LE.

Personally I would like to find an answer so that I will know how the scanner is now set up. I learned heaps about the USB part of scanners and generaly knew how to fix any problems there.

Cheers . John.

I won't profess that I know anything about scanners in Linux (I don't have a scanner :P ). But I'll try and help where I can.

Was xsane installed before you put the hardware in, or did you install xsane afterwards?

So, the idea I'm thinking is this. Maybe, if xsane was installed before the hardware was installed, perhaps this could have been the problem. If it was installed afterwards, then I've really no idea without actually trying it myself.

Sorry I can't help anymore in finding the reason why.

Yes ian, Xsane and Sane were already installed but I found that even uninstalling everything associated with Sane and Xsane and also the hidden related files in /home/<myaccount> (and also in / ), then rebooting and again reinstalling Sane and Xsane made no difference at all. What is strange is that there appears to be no references in Xsane to other than scsi or usb devices in the various manufacturer scripts in Xsane yet Xsane handles the firewire scanner with no difficulties at all now. In fact even in the original problem state, Xsane would open OK and then when preview or scan were selected, after a very long interval it would popup a box saying in/out error . So the dilemma still exists but the problem no longer exists on my machine. :wall:

By your joining in, it reassures me that it is not just me missing something obvious and that is a big contribution. I appreciate your running ideas, as I do sometimes with other posters problems, and not ignoring the posts just because we do not have direct or detailed knowledge on the particular subject. :thumbs:

By the way. Is the 1974 your birth year ???. If so. very smart.

Cheers. John.

I try to help where I can, even if my ideas are pants! :P I can only think now, that you tried the xsane removal, etc, that it could relate to the kernel. But I don't know if it's a stock kernel, or whether it's made during the installation of Mandriva. I only thought this because of my attempted install of Gentoo recently, which is a build it from scratch approach (gone back to Mandriva anyway, couldn't get it working properly :P ).

Yes, is my birth year. I originally was setting up profiles with just ian_w but found it was already taken. The "suggested" ones I didn't like, so for some reason added my birth year :P

Maybe I should have just thought of another nickname instead!