Trying to install Mozilla Sunbird

NewAgeLink

I'm trying to install Mozilla Sunbird. I've already downloaded the GTK2-XFT Linux download (although I'm not sure what either of those acronyms mean or what they do), and extracted it to /home/daniel/Programs/Mozilla/sunbird.

I can't find any instructions. With Firefox, I run the firefox (shell command?) and it works. Thunderbird, same thing, I run thunderbird (shell command?) and it works. I run sunbird (shell command?) and nothing happens. I can't find any installation instructions there... gonna look some more.

How do I check what versions I have? (installed Mandrivalinux (Mandrake?) 10.2 Limited Edition)...

*Linux

-The following library versions (or compatible) are

required: glibc 2.1, XFree86 3.3.x, GTK 1.2.x, Glib

1.2.x, Libstdc++ 2.9.0. Red Hat Linux 6.0,

Debian 2.1, and SuSE 6.2 (or later) installations

should work.

-Red Hat 6.x users who want to install the Mozilla

RPM must have at least version 4.0.2 of rpm

installed.

-Intel Pentium class processor (233 MHz or faster

recommended)

-64MB RAM

-26MB free hard disk space

As for what https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=10615 has to say...

[daniel@localhost ~]$ pwd
/home/daniel
[daniel@localhost ~]$ cd Programs/Mozilla/sunbird
[daniel@localhost sunbird]$ ./configure
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
[daniel@localhost sunbird]$ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
[daniel@localhost sunbird]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost sunbird]# make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
[root@localhost sunbird]#

Should I try this?

Contributed builds

Latest SUSE 9.0-9.2 Build (2005-02-27) - RPM format)

Packman - Links2Linux website

How does SUSE relate to Mandriva? Edited by NewAgeLink

Didn't work for me either. Guess it needs mozilla not firefox or some mozilla libs I'm too lazy to search. Anyway this error message should help:

$ ./sunbird-bin

./sunbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Launching just sunbird gives a Segmentation fault.

silly question...is there a sunbird rpm that you can urpmi and get? i know firefox and thunderbird are always mozilla-______. maybe there is a mozilla-sunbird. at least mandriva might be able to resolve some package dependency for you.

silly question...is there a sunbird rpm that you can urpmi and get?  i know firefox and thunderbird are always mozilla-______.  maybe there is a mozilla-sunbird.  at least mandriva might be able to resolve some package dependency for you.

As far as I understand, sunbird is still in development stage, so unlikely you will find rpm (maybe for club members only? :devil: )

After you downloaded the tar.gz package, unpack it using

tar -xzvf <package>.tar.gz

(substitute the name of the package). This will create the directory named sunbird. Cd to that directory, then type this to start sunbird

./sunbird

Firefox and thunderbird come with the installer which copies their shell scripts and the binaries to /usr/local/bin or to /usr/bin, so they are in user's path. If you want sunbird to be in your path, you need to copy sunbird scripts and binary to /usr/local/bin by hand, or create symlinks.

Edited by coverup

After you downloaded the tar.gz package, unpack it using
tar -xzvf <package>.tar.gz

(substitute the name of the package). This will create the directory named sunbird. Cd to that directory, then type this to start sunbird

./sunbird

As dexter11 said, "Launching just sunbird gives a Segmentation fault." I tried that:

[daniel@localhost ~]$ pwd
/home/daniel
[daniel@localhost ~]$ cd Programs/Mozilla/sunbird
[daniel@localhost sunbird]$ ./sunbird
./run-mozilla.sh: line 131:  9758 Segmentation fault      "$prog" ${1+"$@"}
[daniel@localhost sunbird]$

Firefox and thunderbird come with the installer which copies their shell scripts and the binaries to /usr/local/bin or to /usr/bin, so they are in user's path. If you want sunbird to be in your path, you need to copy sunbird scripts and binary to /usr/local/bin by hand, or create symlinks.
...? I don't know what you mean by user's path...

I don't know what you mean by user's path...

Path is a set of directories stored in a variable. You can watch yours by issuing

echo $PATH

in the CLI.

If you launch a program e.g. GIMP or anything else, the system will look for that program in those dirs, and if it's not there then you will meet the famous "No such file or directory" message.

About Sunbird, if you still want to install it I think you should install some mozilla package as well, I think it depends on them. See the error message I have posted before.

• 2 months later...

I've had Sunbird 0.2a on my MDK 10.1 partition for months. Installed without a hitch. Unfortunately its functionality is limited. Last week I saw that 0.3 alpha 1 was out and decided to give it a try. Couldn't find a way to uninstall 0.2a other than by deleting its directory tree. The 0.3 had come in bz2 form. Opened up with no fuss, but said nothing about installation. In particular, there was no mozilla-installer file of the kind that other members of the family have. Typed [./sunbird] and was confronted with a series of complaints: This seems to be installed already, That seems to be here. So I wiped it out and reinstalled the older version. Again, without a hitch. It had left data files heaven knows where, since it behaved exactly as it had done earlier, showed the information it had shown earlier.