Once again: Intel or AMD or...?

ilia_kr

What CPU do you use on your desktop: Intel, AMD, other...  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What CPU do you use on your desktop: Intel, AMD, other...

• Intel Pentium family
    • AMDs
    • Other

I bought an Acer TravelMate 2310 for my wife recently, which runs one of these Celeron M 1.4Ghz processors or something. For me it's a little disappointing, quite slow. I've no idea why. Plus I don't like the shared memory with the video. The laptop comes with 256MB, and then you end up with 64MB allocated to video, leaving 192MB for the rest of the system. I could get more, by reducing the video memory to 32MB, but that's not exactly a big increase!

Mind you, she is using XP, so that could explain a few things :P

Sorry about my kind of off-topic rant :D

I've never bought a new Intel CPU. (Have a server with a Piii 866, but I got that one for free...)

Overrated and since the P4 overheating.

Plus, I always root for the underdog (even here with Mandriva).

Jon, as for computation, all chipdesign is moving to Linux on x86-64 (Cadence is not even making HP-UX versions of certain software anymore, I'm told). Do you agree that for chipdesign good calculus is required? I'm talking spice and other types of simulations, things that run for weeks.

I'm really wondering why you had faulty results, are you sure this is to do with the cpu??

That would come out quickly, just as the Pentium bug. I've never come across such info on the K7 architecture, so I highly doubt that that's where your problems are from...

Now, if you want a fast desktop cpu today, go for amd-64.

Mostly due to the memory controller, but also to have the cpu architecture of the future - plus, Linux fully supports amd64 - and the other way around (what do you think amd designs on, Linux on itanium? ;) )

For laptops centrino is good, avoid celeron M. Well, let's say, the worst is Pentium 4 Celeron mobile, then Pentium 4 mobile, then Celeron M and the best from Intel for laptops is Pentium M.

The best from AMD is Turion 64 bit, which are more or less comparable to Pentium M except it seems for power consumption.

If you can afford it, amd 64 dualcore is where it's at.

Hmmm, next year should bring us dual core 64 bit laptop cpus.

I'll be shopping for a laptop soon.... :D

ianw1974, the slowness in the Acer is caused by the hard drive. Acer is notorious for putting 4200 rpm hard drive in order to keep the price down (the Travelmate 2300 series is under 700 dollars after all). There are several pluses for Acer that makes me recommend it to people I meet but performance is one of them.

You may want to upgrade the memory or change the hard drive to something more managable like 5400 rpm or even 7200 rpm. Of course the battery life will suffer even more. But what do you expect for a cheap laptop like that? :)

Anyway back on topic. I prefer AMD processor because of value. Cheaper price for same or even better perfomance. I am still dying to move my desktop to a 64 bit linux, but the last 64 bit distro I tried (FC4-x86-64) is quite unstable.