Once again: Intel or AMD or...?

ilia_kr

What CPU do you use on your desktop: Intel, AMD, other...  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What CPU do you use on your desktop: Intel, AMD, other...

• Intel Pentium family
    • AMDs
    • Other

Few days ago i had a debate with a friend about what CPU people prefer on their desktops. He claims that majority use Intel ones so i decided to check that out in this small survey :D

Please vote and explain your choise!

P.S. REMEMBER: more votes - better statistics !!!

Edited by ilia_kr

I've used an AMD in just about every box I've ever built for myself - from a K6-2 to the Sempron. Haven't tried an AMD-64 yet, though. I always felt that price/performance favored this choice. And just as it subjectively feels good to me to support the underdog Linux vs. Microsoft, the same goes for AMD vs. Intel.

i'm a mathematician. i crunch numbers. all the code i write is for the purpose of number crunching. sometime ago my then friend (now wife) and i were assigned to write a program that did some basic floating point operations. i had an amd k7 700 and she had a p3-450.

our answers were so different (mine obviously wrong) that i became biased. well, i know that this could be explained away 80-thousand different ways. but it could've also had something to do with the fpu. ever since, i've strayed away from them for computation.

if i were building a gamer (again) i'd put in an amd in a heartbeat. in fact i'd give the 64 bit another shot for the purpose of number-crunching. my amd/nvidia combo was sure nice. i'd probably get another one in a laptop just to lower the price. performance on most everything doesn't phase me. but i'm just nervous on some of the stuff.

is that even an issue anymore? does anyone else out there do strictly numerical computations on an amd? if so, what compiler?

BEFORE the dual-cores came out,

i was told by ALOT of so-called puter techs,

that if iwanted to go faster than 2.5GHz, then Intel was the way to go.

Hence, my new P4 3GHz 800 FSB w/HT

i875 Intel mobo, 1024 Mb RAM running a SMP kernel

My only AMD experience was with the K6-2 days...........

what intel Celeron 300A (overclocked to 450MHz)did in ONE clock cycle, amd K6-2 450MHz

did in TWO!

according to modern benchmarks of this era..........

found this out in the overclocking hey-day of the Celeron 300A era......

just my two cents :cheesy:

Edited by dlm250r

I have Pentium D 3ghz i have to tell you it screams, But only problem is the Price of Intel Chips compare to AMD. But besides that i find Pentiums to be more reliable than AMD i went through 2 AMD Athlon XP 3000, though 1 i believe was mainboard related :( the other was Chip failure not due to heat (i use Danger Dan liquid cooling).. So that why i went back to Intel.

currently running Mandriva LE2005

kernel 2.6.12-12smp

I have been using amd prossessors since the k5 days. Their performance/cost ratio has always been better than Intel. My current setup is amd/nvidia chipset.

my wife's laptop (which i am currently using) is a p4, 3.2 GHz HT. it runs circles around my 2.26 P4 (no HT). i don't know how that compares to a new AMD, but this guy is smoking.