Do you Dual boot for games?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Dual boot for games?

• Yes, definitely!
    • No, I use Cedega, wine, etc. for windows games
    • I only play linux native games
    • I don't play games at all
    • Other, please state

The only movement I am interested in being an active member in is the one affecting my bowels; whichever platform allows me to accomplish this without getting red-faced and soiled is my top choice.

No idealism here, I only switched to linux when microsoft finally made it too much of a hassle to steal the next windows version for the average lazy and unapologetic computer user to bother trying.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The  only  movement  I  am  interested  in  being  an  active member  in  is  the one affecting  my  bowels; whichever  platform  allows me  to accomplish  this  without  getting red-faced and soiled  is  my top choice.

:lol2: Excellent.

I've just installed Windows for the first time in five years. I needed it to do some reviews and I thought I'd benchmark my games against Liinux whilst there. After loading up World of Warcraft and seeing the remarkable differences in performance and graphics, I think I'll keep it around... purely for gaming, of course.

But Linux gaming and gaming in general is about to take a major turn - I believe that's what the new Swift api from Transgaming will lead to.

When we have a cross-platform alternative to directx/d3d (other than glide which in my experience is even more messy game to game than any debaucle msoft has offered up) then we'll be home free. Though it is true that some big names are pushing out linux-ready versions (sims2 for example) it seems to be easier, or even prettier, to run the same game under some kind of NT kerenel. To hell with it, I'm off to best buy to trade in a kindney for an xbox 360.

I also want a 360 - although I know it'll spend 80% of the time in my house looking pretty on a shelf, since all I play these days, when I get time, is WoW (yes, yes, I know the rumour that they're porting it).

Transgaming's new API might just be that answer. I believe it's called Swift? May be wrong, often am...

• 2 weeks later...

Don't play games anymore, sicked over the gaming stage about a year or so ago. There are more interesting and valuable things to do.

Needless to say that that has made my Linux life a lot easier.

Before that I mostly played around with Cedega, but canceled the subscription because it didn't work well with my favourite game (Morrowind) and Linux ATI card support is awful! (I bought the card (ATI 9000 Pro) before I went over to Linux).

Edited by solarian

Don't play games anymore, sicked over the gaming stage about a year or so ago. There are more interesting and valuable things to do.

There's something more interesting and valuable than World of Warcraft?

/me looks at solarian, vacantly.

here's something more interesting and valuable than World of Warcraft?

No shit, SoulSe! :D

My eldest sis spends all her free time in WoW! It's like an addiction. If I didn't live in another country than her, I'd do something about it.

But yes, I generally find hiking and researching stuff about mythology more exciting and rewarding, i.e., I get something out of it too. Gaming seems too much of a time wasting for me, time that can be spent in more productive activities.

here's something more interesting and valuable than World of Warcraft?

No shit, SoulSe! :D

My eldest sis spends all her free time in WoW! It's like an addiction. If I didn't live in another country than her, I'd do something about it.

But yes, I generally find hiking and researching stuff about mythology more exciting and rewarding, i.e., I get something out of it too. Gaming seems too much of a time wasting for me, time that can be spent in more productive activities.

I thought so too, but when compared to, say, watching TV or reading a trashy magazine, at least she is engaged in a mildly cinstructive manner with WoW and has some social engagement with the other players, so I guess there's that. Although too much of anything is bad - moderation, I say!

To get back on topic though: I must admit that, since installing my Windows partition for gaming, I have been finding that I waste less time trying to get games to work with Cedega and am generally enjoying better resolutions / eye candy and performance.

Hate to admit it, but Cedega wasn't giving me anywhere near the performance in Windows for most games. Native Linux games.... well, that's another story.

I hope that NWN2 will be released on Linux too! And I think it will considering the pool results at Bioware's website.

That could even convince me to spend some time beating up goblins :)

Baldur's Gate 2 was one of my favourite games, but it too sucked on Cedega.

I used to play Age of Empires and Civilization quite a bit when I had a Windows machine, but I haven't played any games since my kids came along.

(BTW, Mandriva comes with the FreeCiv "client", but I've never managed to get this to run. Any ideas?)

For a while, I kept a Windows partition around so that my wife could run a garden design package, but she has never once used it so I wiped the partition and reclaimed the space for backups. I am looking forward to explaining this in the spring...

I used to play Age of Empires and Civilization quite a bit when I had a Windows machine, but I haven't played any games since my kids came along.

(BTW, Mandriva comes with the FreeCiv "client", but I've never managed to get this to run. Any ideas?)

You have to run the FreeCiv server (either on the same box or another on the network) for the client to connect to. It's very simple, although I did it quite a while ago and can't remember where the server is / what it's called *shrug*

I only have Windows boxes right now (*shock*), but I keep a Mandriva Cooker (though horribly out of date, for other reasons) session running via vmware at all times.

I would put Linux back on my main box, but I game on it too much. My fiancee uses my laptop all the time so putting it there is out of the question.

So yes, I do boot to Windows for games, though I don't really have a choice. When I get some cash to throw together a new box I will reclaim one of them for Linux.

I'd still have linux on my desktop without vmware if I hadn't recently lost a hard drive (shortly after smoking a psu, quite literally), but I will again at some point.