• No, I use Cedega, wine, etc. for windows games
    • I only play linux native games
    • I don't play games at all
    • Other, please state

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I could get madden 2005 to run in cedega, like I was able to do with madden 2004, I wouldn't boot into windows. In fact, I'm still playin Steel Panthers version 7.1, instead of version 8.4 because I couldn't get it to run in cedega and didn't want to run it in windows. With madden, I bought the new game (SPwaw is free) and couldn't get it to install, so I boot into windows.That said, my wife and daughter rarely boot into linux even thought thats were I have our email accounts setup.

I have taken the time to email EA sports (madden 2k5/4) and Matrix games (Steel Panthers World at War) to ask about Linux installers, but guess what? No reply. But I really do feel if enough of us (and thats anyone who plays games) at least try to communicate with the game producers, they may realize that we are here and make some changes, ie make Linux versions. OK so maybe thats a pipe dream, but if we as a community keep at them, and support those who do produce Linux titles, others will follow.

In fact, I downloaded the new banner free opera for linux, not that i really like or wanted it, but just to add a number to the amount of linux downloads. People will look at how many people download which version,(linux vs. windows) and if they see that the linux numbers are growing they may see a marketplace. But that means we, as a community, may need to support these companies with our wallets from time to time. I bought UT 2k4, because it had a linux installer included. So maybe we need to be picky about which games we buy ( :cry: --sad about buying madden 2k5 )

Anyways, Im sorry Im rambling, :screwy: what was the question again? :wall:

I don't often play games, but I did try to get Call of Duty running under Cedega/Wine but it wouldn't work. Something to do with graphics display, and couldn't find a solution.

The only way I could was under Windows, but I removed it a while back, as I allocated all the space to Mandriva :P

I try to play games which cedega, dosbox or linux run all the time, but when I have friends who play only windows games, I play the same games as them. Also I have several hundred dollars worth of games (ok ok, worth 20 by now, but it cost alot to get them) which I can't get to work in linux. Since I get hankerings to play them, I keep a windows partitian around. My motto is Linux for work and windows for play. Hmmm, I havn't booted into windows for a few weeks to play though...

To get to a point, while there are plenty of games for linux, there is a definate lacking of some genres and game types so I play them in windows. The selection for linux however is getting better by the day. Its almost to the point where I just don't buy windows games anymore.

Fact is, if your a gamer and want to play the LATEST games or demos (the new fear demo for example) you are forced to use windows because only a small percentage of pc games are able to run in linux PROPERLY, cedega is at best a last resort that only sometimes will run a game well enough to be playable at a fair framerate. Now mind you I can get almost anything to run in linux no matter what the intended platform is but more often than not I want to PLAY THE BLOODY THING not read about it and hack it for 2 weeks first. Some games work nativly in linux but personally I'm tired of UT2004 and RTCW etc etc those games run great in linux but their yesterdays news. If these aging games keep you happy then your not a real serious gamer and I envy you, if it werent for being addicted to 1stPerson shooters I could ditch the peice of crap that sits on my other drive. Anyway I wish this wasn't the case but it is and I'm starting to rant so I'll leave it here.

Yeah, I have to. Granted, I'm not up on major gaming. I am not into the new stuff. I'm a big Myst fan and Tomb Raider. And I have a pile of old win95 era games I hang onto. And then there's Starcraft. Now I did get Starcraft working in Wine but it was slow. And Myst (original Riven or Exile) won't play due to the quicktime requirement (and no libquicktime will work with it either. Haven't tried Tomb raider. But since I have to dual boot anyhow I just keep it in my small Win98 partition. Then again I have one hurricane tracking program that works well, that is from old Win3.1 days (no there hasn't been anything better to replace it in all this time) That I keep using for many reason. And need my windows boot for it. I have one windows hurricane tracker that works ok in wine but it doesn't convert data too well.

Yup i duel boot, But if a game can be play in Linux natively i play in linux. I hate using Cedega because i think they do more harm than good. Game companies are never going to port a game to linux if cedega can emulate windows (why would anyone what to emulate windows?). saying that,, i'll boot into xp to play Brother in Arms and if it crashes i expect it... One thing is for sure Games (the good ones) are coming to Linux slowly but surely.. and in the future you will be able to go to deptartment stores buy a game off the shelf and run it in Linux.. (ps i know there are acouple of them already I HAVE THEM :) ) When that day comes XP will be History.

just my 2 cents.

Ps A.I great work on let us know all the games available to linux and those that are coming soon.

Edited by Shadowchaser

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use Cedgea to handle all of my Windows gaming needs (Temple of Elemental Evil) and the other game I was really interested in (Neverwinter Nights) runs natively. However, I recently bought Battlefield 2. When they get BF2 working in Cedgea, I'll transfer that over. However, until Linux gaming support improves, I'm going to need to keep Windows around to handle any new games that I decide that I absolutely must have. (BF2 has been the first such game since ToEE)

I don't consider dual booting "betraying the movement" at all because I don't consider myself a part of any OSS "movement." I use Linux because it fills a need that Windows doesn't; namely, a stable OS that isn't quite so vulnerable to the remote-exploit-of-the-week, spyware, viruses, &c, and also doesn't require new hardware. (So OS X doesn't fit the bill.)

Edit: Style, precision

Edit2: Spelling

Edited by MrMorden

I use Linux because it fills a need that Windows doesn't; namely, a stable OS that isn't quite so vulnerable to the remote-exploit-of-the-week, spyware, viruses, &c, and also doesn't require new hardware.  (So OS X doesn't fit the bill.)

Amen MrMorden Amen ..

:D

I'm kind of surprised that Linux doesn't advertise itself more extensively on these grounds. People can say "OMG Linux does all of the same things that Windows can do for you!" (If "you" means a typical user.) But until people percieve a NEED that Linux can fulfill that Windows can't (cheaper, more secure) then people will stick with the default. (Windows...unless they shop at WalMart. And who wants to do that? And who wants their OS associated with WalMart in any case?)

• 1 month later...

I have a winbox just for gaming and not much else, since windows is not much more than a toy doll for me, the rest of my boxes (where I do my actual work) are windows-free

I don't consider dual booting "betraying the movement" at all because I don't consider myself a part of any OSS "movement."  I use Linux because it fills a need that Windows doesn't; namely, a stable OS that isn't quite so vulnerable to the remote-exploit-of-the-week, spyware, viruses, &c, and also doesn't require new hardware.  (So OS X doesn't fit the bill.)

The same reason why I use linux