Wireless Mouse?

shaner

You definitely have a 7-function mouse.

What did you enter now for Option "ZAxisMapping" ?

To activate side scrolling try: Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"

The first two numbers "4 5" are for vertical scrolling, the last two "6 7" for horizontal.

Just apply the button numbers that are right for you.

Success.

Hovel,

Ok, I added the extra numbers and it didn't do anything. I put what you said. After I tried to switch the 6 and 7 so it was

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 7 6"

It didn't work either. At least I'm scrolling!!! Any other ideas for the side to side scroll feature? Thanks for the help.

shane

Often when you want to do something a little unusual, you can find very usefull information in the manual pages and the documentation on the web.

I suggest you go and read the documentation for the config file. I read it once a long time ago (that was for XFree86 but it should be more or less the same for X.Org), and I do remember reading about configuring two axes.

Good luck.

Yves.

Hovel,

Well, I have basically be content to have a scrolling mouse. The last site you posted was helpfull, however I still haven't figured it out. I have buttons 4 and 5 as my scrolling wheel. That leaves 6 and 7 as my "tilt wheel" to scroll side to side. I have tried a few different configurations, but haven't got anywhere. I don't know how to incorporate my 6 and 7 buttons. I'm really not a programer, just a computer user. Thanks for the help.

Shane

Often when you want to do something a little unusual, you can find very usefull information in the manual pages and the documentation on the web.

I suggest you go and read the documentation for the config file. I read it once a long time ago (that was for XFree86 but it should be more or less the same for X.Org), and I do remember reading about configuring two axes.

Good luck.

Yves.

I don't know where to find this info??? or what I should be looking for, could you expain a little more?

Also, I booted up today and it replaced my xorg.conf file, it changed my numbers again. I had to go back and re-edit that file. Any ideas on why it would do that??? Thanks.

Shane

Ok, this is ridiculous! I put the numbers back after Mandriva switched them, and now, I'm back to no scrolling??? I'm about to do a complete re-install, and I may install Ubuntu to try it out for a bit. This stuff is driving me crazy. I just want a user friendly operating system that is usable! I really like Mandriva, but there are many issues to be worked through for the average user to pick it up and use it. I'm burning CD's in case I come back to Mandriva, but I hope it is just my installation that has all these issues, goofy scrolling, no laptop battery monitoring, no wireless working, slow boot-up issues and KDE is choppy sometimes??? I have all updates, and theoretically should be running fine!!!

Shane

Shane,

try booting a LiveCD like the latest Knoppix or Kanotix and if it has the tiltwheel working properly, copy the mouse configuration down and use that in your Mandriva xorg.conf. That is, if you aren't wiping out Mandriva or whatever. Just a thought/ Those two live cds have the most awesome hardware detection ever.

Steve,

Thanks for the thought, however it is too late. I'm running the New Ubuntu. I might add that my wireless mouse worked out of the box, so did my wireless D-Link wireless card. I really enjoyed Mandriva, and probably would have had a better experience if I had did a fresh install of LE2005 rather than upgrade from 10.1Community. I may be back to Mandriva, we will have to see, but for now I'm exploring Ubuntu, and rather impressed with it.

Shane