Wireless Mouse?

shaner

Ok, what is the catch. I did a quick search on Logitech Wireless Mouse, and came up with a post that was all good! I'm running LE2005 on a Tosh Laptop with loads of RAM (768MB) a Celeron M processor. When I plugged my mouse in it worked, but choppy, so now I messed around with it, and now it doesn't scroll. It is a two button mouse with a scroll wheel that can tilt from side to side to help with scrolling sideways. I would be happy just to scroll up and down. I know the mouse is fine as I use it with Windows. How can I delete the mouse settings and reset this one. I don't know what I did to mess it up, it was a while ago. I mentioned the memory and processor, because it is almost like my computer has low memory. I'm using KDE. Thanks!

Shane

Edited by shaner

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Mouse1"
   Driver "mouse"
   Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
   Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
   Option "Emulate3Buttons"
   Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
   Option "EmulateWheel"
   Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
EndSection

Another part has this

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier "layout1"
   InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
   InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
   Screen "screen1"
EndSection

Thanks.

Shane

I have a Compaq rechargable wireless mouse that rocks. Here's my section:

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Mouse1"
   Driver "mouse"
   Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
   Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

Mine has two extra buttons on the side for Back and Forward in your browser that even work. Now, I have no idea about the tilt-wheel thingy, but I am certain you don't need

Option "Emulate3Buttons"

Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"

and probably not:

Option "EmulateWheel"

Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"

Try commenting out those parts in one combination or another and restart X and see how it goes.

Ok, a few more clues for the riddle. First, I had a small misunderstanding of

restarting x
. I thought I just needed to log out of KDE and log back in. This didn't do anything for me though. I had to completely restart the computer.

I took and copied the entire code for Steve's mouse and found that it did work, but not correctly. When I tried to scroll it moved me backward and forward in my web browser (Like the little green arrows at the top of the browser in FireFox). When I tried in my files thingy, it didn't do anything. When I pushed the wheel down in the file thingy it opened the folder in a new box.

When I cut out all the emulate lines and rebooted, the scroll wheel doesn't move. When I push the wheel down, it takes me to some wierd page that it pulls out of the blue. If someone has a Logitech mouse with two buttons and a scroll wheel in the center could post their code that would be great. I will just copy and paste it. I'm not into this programing things. Thanks.

Shane

What might be worthwhile doing is following this:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=25316&hl

whilst it doesn't specify your mouse exactly, it's probably a good starting point to getting your mouse working with the wheel.

Section 1 is the most important, as these settings may actually just sort you out straightaway. If not, just follow the full list, and see what happens after that.

ianw1974,

Ok, I tried his code for his xorg.conf file, but this didn't fix my problem. I even installed that imwheel thing, and nothing. I tried his little checks but his modmap things started to go beyond my ability. In short, I still have a mouse that wont scroll, and that is really annoying. Doesn't anyone else have a logitech mouse??? I guess I should have bought a M$ mouse. Too late now. Any other ideas?

Did you run the xmodmap -pp to show the positioning of each of the buttons? Can you post back the output?

The editing of files is pretty easy, all the info's laid out, and if you like, if you post the relevant info, I can create the files for you.

But you'll learn more and be able to do more if you do try yourself! It's worth it, trust me :P

Hi, I have a Logitech MX700 cordless optical mouse and i am running Mandriva 2005LE.

My xorg.conf contains following settings:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier "layout1"

InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"

Screen "screen1"

EndSection

If it does not work when you chage your xorg.conf to this settings (and restart X) then you could try to reconfigure the mouse with MCC. Make sure to choose PS2 -> Other -> Microsoft Explorer.

Good luck,

Luc

Yes I have done it.

Sorry, it do not solve my problem = get linux to recognize that my mouse have 6 buttons including 2 for the wheel. My middle button has no 2 and my thumb button also has no 2.

The protocol I have tried is IMPS/2, ExplorerPS/2, MouseMand+PS/2 and PS/2

Running modmap -pp shows 5 buttons

Running xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 6

replies must have 5 instead of 6 aborting.

In xorg.conf I have 2 - two input device section and in ServerLayout the corresponding mouse0 and mouse1

I believe mouse0 is for the internal pointer and mice buttons in Thinkpad.

The big question is which protocol support more than 5 buttons.

Any idees

Try the following:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Buttons" "6"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "5 6"

EndSection

The Option "Buttons" "6" will tell XOrg there are 6 buttons.

The Option "ZAxisMapping" "5 6" will tell XOrg to see buttons 5+6 as the scroll wheel.

xmodmap -pp shoul now give the following:

There are 6 pointer buttons defined.

Physical Button

Button Code

1 1

2 2

3 3

4 5

5 6

6 4

Ok, Maybe I didn't specify, but my mouse only has 2 real buttons and you can press the wheel to act as the third button. Also you should be able to tilt the wheel to the left and to the right so that it will scroll side to side. I'm replacing the number 7 that I had to 5 with the 4 and 5 for the wheel and see if that helps matters. I will let you know.

Finally!!! Thanks hovel for the post!!! The numbers explanation really helped! Now I can scroll!!! :banana::thanks: Now, this is a side thing, and not nearly as important. It is more of a challenge to fix. The Scrolling Wheel can tilt side to side for scrolling side to side. And ideas on that?? Maybe if I make it 7 buttons, and make a new line that would read,

Option "YAxisMapping" "6 7"

-- I'm guessing on this, I just made this line up based on the other line.

Any thoughts on this?? Any one have a left to right scrolling option? Thanks.

Shane

Edited by shaner