Mandriva on Distrowatch

adyx

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does anyone make of this "assesment" from today's distrowatch weekly - Ladislav:

Disappointingly, Mandriva continues in its attitude of extreme secrecy by refusing to provide anybody, including their paying Club members, with any advanced information regarding the availability of ISOs. As such, the only thing we can do is to guess - and our guess is that the Club members will get access today and the rest of us one week from now. Update: The latest news is that Club members will get access to the ISO images on Thursday, October 6. There is still no word on when the release will be available publicly.

The Mandriva attitude contrasts sharply with those of openSUSE and Ubuntu. Both projects have been remarkably timely during their respective development activities and we expect things to continue this way. Barring some last-minute complications, both SUSE Linux 10.0 and Ubuntu Linux 5.10 RC will be released on Thursday, with the final release of Ubuntu 5.10 following a week later.

I'd guess, this kind of "vibe" partially/mostly explains why Ladislav has gone a fraction colder towards Mandriva over the last 6-12 months relative to certain other distros.

What does anyone think - is this a fair depiction - here's the rest of it:

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20051003

Does Mandriva need to be concerned about these kind of assesments from well known community figures - is there anything different Mandriva can be doing?

Edited by Rainer

Heh, I'm a little bit confused with KDE so many options it's spinning in my head. Anyway how can disable icons so only text is shown in a panel? Like I'm adding an application menu to a panel, but I won't have it shows the icon but only the text (eg internet)

I won't claim that using pixmaps won't work, but isn't it simpler to

1. rightclick the taskbar and pick "configure panel",

2. pick there the "menus" tab and untick the box "show side image"?

I won't claim that the default looks of KDE ain't a bit bloated, but you can make it way more bloated, if you like, or alternatively looking like a "Fluxbox plus"!

In short, everything in there is fully customizable... :D