Optical MouseMan wheel 5 buttons

Arne

Hi Arne,

Not sure if this will help, maybe worth a try if you get really stuck:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=25316&hl

I know it doesn't relate exactly to your mouse, but has most of the settings that might work for you.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either the protocol don't suport more than 6 buttons, unlikely since you can use more than 5 buttons or could it be that

" -display :0" points to the generic PS/2 port device.

Can you please explain this argument????

My guess here is that the X server on which those commands are running has the "Buttons" parameter set to 5 for the mouse. Please posts the details of what you did, or maybe try one of the alternative solutions suggested by ian and bvc.

Good luck.

Yves.

Hello helpful friends,

Thanks for replies.

theYinYeti: I have followed your HOWTO to the point. In earlier replies I have shown you what I put in xorg.conf and when I run xmodmap it accept only maximum 5 buttons, not 6 buttons as I have.

This 5 button limitation is not set by me, not by the mouse so it must somewhere in linux mdk 10.1. Xorg is updated to the latest version. Most likely the version of my protocol "ExplorerPS/2" impose this limitation. I have tried many protocol's but I stumble to this 5 button maximum all the time. How can I check which protocol's is installed and ready to use and which is available trough urpmi?????

So in general.

I have noted "Aussie" was surprised that so many have problem with wheel mouse and the rest have no problem at all. I join the club but unfortunately I am not in the lucky part of this club.

Secondly why on earth have MDK not solved this long time ago, it's a disgrace. After all I been trough a lot of problem and found solution with great help from this forum in the last 5 months since I started. I could not at any time, even in my wildest dream, that a mouse wheel should be the most difficult one. My mouse is among the most frequently used mouse in the world and renown for quality. I don't understand.

Status.

My mouse connected to USB recognize all buttons and the wheel and work fine. Only TB and MB have the same button number. I don't mind using the USB connection. Furthermore it works without any set up. Plug it in and it work like a charm.

Options.

1. Be satisfied with my present status

2. Go the Event Device route, see my earlier replies and for the one interested one look at this website: http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsect...hp?articleid=46.

Have anyone tried this before? If so, please respond.

3. Go the Imwheel way. Interesting but look a little bit complicated for a newbie. Secondly maybe it will not solve my 6 Button problem. Anyone have experience with it???

4. bvc mentioned "mdv" I don't know what that is and no "man page" is available. I will google.

Conclusion.

I don't like to give up so I will pursue this issue until it is completely solved satisfactory for me.

Any comment's from anyone will be highly appreciated. Which option and there's priority are very interesting.

Thanks again

mdv just an abbreviation for mandriva, bit like mdk for mandrake.

I tried the imwheel thing a while ago, but this was for my side buttons on the Explorer Mouse I had. It's not too bad, I was new to it all back then, and it's relatively easy. Just is editing a few files, which can be something you worry about when you're not quite sure whether it's going to cause problems.

Following it step-by-step is good. I can't say for definite whether it will resolve your problem, but is certainly worth a shot. You have nothing to lose by giving it a go.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else that might solve it. I'm only using a two button wheel mouse now myself :P

Options.

2. Go the Event Device route, see my earlier replies and for the one interested one look at this website: http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsect...hp?articleid=46.

Have anyone tried this before? If so, please respond.

3. Go the Imwheel way. Interesting but look a little bit complicated for a newbie. Secondly maybe it will not solve my 6 Button problem. Anyone have experience with it???

Conclusion.

I don't like to give up so I will pursue this issue until it is completely solved satisfactory for me.

:lol: Excellent answer Arne! I'm like that myself sometimes.

2- The article is indeed tempting. I find it "too easy", though: I fail to see how it can work seemlessly with different mouse models that use different protocols. It's worth a try however. Besides, this "kernel event" thing is the future, and will eventually replace the current input devices (mouse, joystick, keyb) drivers.

3- Imwheel can't do anything with a button that is not recognised (you see it in xev). And if two buttons have the same number, Imwheel will make the same for both if configured for this button number. Now that I think about it, I should add in my article to check, before configuring anything, that Imwheel (or equivalent) is not running, as it may make a button behave like another, and thus lead to false results.

Whatever the case, the first thing to do is make sure that all buttons are recognized. If you achieve that, you win, because it is trivial thereafter to change the buttons' order with xmodmap, or to assign actions to extra buttons with whatever tool you want.

Yves.

Hello again,

theYinYeti: I looked at another tread where you asked for this output:

[root@192 etc]# lsmod | grep -i usb  
usbmouse                4256  0  
usbhid                    41088  0  
usbcore                103172  5 usbmouse,usbhid,uhci-hcd

[root@192 etc]# chkconfig --list | grep -i 'usb\|plug\|dev\|hard'  
rawdevices      0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off  
netplugd          0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off    4:off   5:off    6:off  
hotplug            0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off    5:off    6:off  
harddrake        0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off  
udev                0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

[root@192 etc]# sed -n '/Section *"InputDevice"/,/EndSection/ p' /etc/X11/xorg.conf  
Section "InputDevice"      
 Identifier "Mouse1"      
 Driver "mouse"      
 Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"      
 Option "Device" "/dev/input/usbmouse"      
 Option "Buttons" "8"      
 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"      
 Option "Resolution" "400"  
EndSection  

Section "InputDevice"      
 Identifier "Mouse0"      
 Driver "mouse"      
 Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"      
 Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"   #mouse"      
 Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"  
EndSection

Any clues???????????

[root@192 etc]# sed -n '/Section *"InputDevice"/,/EndSection/ p' /etc/X11/xorg.conf  
Section "InputDevice"      
 Identifier "Mouse1"      
 Driver "mouse"      
 Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"      
 Option "Device" "/dev/input/usbmouse"      
 Option "Buttons" "8"      
 Option "Resolution" "400"  
EndSection  

Section "InputDevice"      
 Identifier "Mouse0"      
 Driver "mouse"      
 Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"      
 Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"   #mouse"      
 Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"  
EndSection

Any clues???????????

Well yes! :)

What does this give:

sed -n '/Section *"ServerLayout"/,/EndSection/p' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

My idea is that all this time, your server was actually using Mouse0 and completely ignoring Mouse1. I hope this is so, because then I am in known ground :cheesy: whereas if it is not, I'm not sure I have other ideas...

Yves.

theYinYeti,

Further on the Even Device:

You maybe right about not seing how this can solve the problem for all mouses. As far as I can see is based on running this first:

# lsmod | grep evdev  
# cat /proc/bus/input/devices

Which gives:

I: 
Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c501 Version=0910  
N: Name="Logitech USB Receiver"  
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:07.2-1/input0   # see comment 1 below 
H: Handlers=mouse1 event2 ts1         # see comment 2 below
B: EV=2000f  
B: KEY=1f0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  
B: REL=103  
B: ABS=100 0  
B: LED=fc00

Ad 1. I have tried to move this mouse around to many USB ports and P: stays the same exept "-1 changed to the actual number for that USB port.

Ad 2. When I run these 2 command the first time I didn't have any mouse1. So it was created by the "evdev" command. Secondly the "event2" stays the same no matter wich port I used. I even mounted other USB devices with the mouse disconnected and when I plugged it in again it always come up "event2"

I will try to mounth my mouse on XP box with 6 buttons and a wheel and se if I can confirm the above observation.

I will report back

What du you think????????

What does this give: 

CODE  sed -n '/Section *"ServerLayout"/,/EndSection/p' /etc/X11/xorg.conf 

My idea is that all this time, your server was actually using Mouse0 and completely ignoring Mouse1. I hope this is so, because then I am in known ground  whereas if it is not, I'm not sure I have other ideas...

Here it is:

[root@192 etc]# sed -n '/Section *"ServerLayout"/,/EndSection/p' /etc/X11/xorg.conf  
Section "ServerLayout"      
 Identifier "layout1"      
 InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"      
 InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"      
 InputDevice "Mouse1"      
 Screen "screen1"  
EndSection

Maybe or maybe not???????

I wrote:

I will try to mounth my mouse on XP box with 6 buttons and a wheel and se if I can confirm the above observation.    I will report back

This mouse is is not 6 but 8 buttons + wheel Logitech Optical Wireless.

I have switched mouse now and running:

[root@192 etc]# lsmod | grep evdev  
evdev                             7648  0  
[root@192 etc]# cat /proc/bus/input/devices    
I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c506 Version=1600#same vendor but #                                                                                different
N: Name="Logitech USB Receiver"               #same
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:07.2-1.3/input0           #same 
H: Handlers=mouse1 event2 ts1                  #same
B: EV=20007                                             #different
B: KEY=ffff0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0                   #different   
B: REL=103                                      #same
B: LED=fc00

#same

So this confirm the info is uniqe for all mouse's. I was wrong because it didn't create a new "mouse2" and the "event2" is the same. On the other hand the old mouse is not inserted and the new take the same place.

I will look closer to other things is changes. Please stand by, I have a good filing in my stomach now

mdv just an abbreviation for mandriva, bit like mdk for mandrake.

What does this give:  

CODE  sed -n '/Section *"ServerLayout"/,/EndSection/p' /etc/X11/xorg.conf  

My idea is that all this time, your server was actually using Mouse0 and completely ignoring Mouse1. I hope this is so, because then I am in known ground  whereas if it is not, I'm not sure I have other ideas...

Here it is:

[root@192 etc]# sed -n '/Section *"ServerLayout"/,/EndSection/p' /etc/X11/xorg.conf  
Section "ServerLayout"      
 Identifier "layout1"      
 InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"      
 InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"      
 InputDevice "Mouse1"      
 Screen "screen1"  
EndSection

I don't know if it is safe to have two mice declared this way. I think, though, that this is not the problem... I don't have any ideas left :(

Yves.