Optical MouseMan wheel 5 buttons

Arne

Sorry for late answer bvc,

Thanks for reply.

My  modprobe.preload is totally empty.

How do I do?..... Just fill in the output you showed or....???????

Please give me some information.

My modprobe.preload only contained intel-agp for my video card, nothing related to the mouse and it all worked a treat. But it was an MS Mouse though.

If you do an lsmod, and see that your module for your mouse is loaded, then you wouldn't need to add it to modprobe.preload. If you have to manually load it each time, then you'd need to add it to modprobe.preload so that it's automatically loaded, without you having to do it manually each time you boot the system. This is what the modprobe.preload is for, to save you doing it manually.

Hope that makes sense! :P

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello friends,

I have been very stubborn and stupid.

First I updated my linux installation, 185 packages and 528 Mb downloaded. A lengthy ride due to my limited download speed. But what a smooth and convenient ride, only 2 warnings which is not serious for the system and which I will correct later. I did the update just to make sure the system is completely updated.

After restarting the xorg I run:

[root@192 arne3]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c501 Logitech, Inc. Cordless Mouse Receiver
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0605 Genesys Logic, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

For the first time my mouse is recognized.

Then i run:

[root@192 input]# lsmod | grep -i usb
usb-storage            65504  1
scsi_mod              104044  2 sd_mod,usb-storage
usbmouse                4256  0
usbhid                 41088  0
usbcore               103172  6 usb-storage,usbmouse,usbhid,uhci-hcd

[root@192 X11]# xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 6 3 4 5 2"
[root@192 X11]# xmodmap -pp
There are 6 pointer buttons defined.

Physical        Button
    Button          Code
       1              1
       2              6
       3              3
       4              4
       5              5
       6              2

So, now 6 buttons is recognized and dedicated. Hurra!!!!!, as they say in Norway.

How did I solved it.

Very simple as most things are when you know.

the Yin Yety. You where so close, more than close, 2 times when You wrote:

* My guess here is that the X server on which those commands are running has the "Buttons" parameter set to 5 for the mouse. and

* My idea is that all this time, your server was actually using Mouse0 and completely ignoring Mouse1.

You where right all the time. If you at that time had proposed to add Buttons = 6 the problem could have been solved a little bit earlier. But then I would not have learned by go the slow route.

I had 2 mouse identity, mouse0 and mouse1, and I had 2 entries in xorg.conf because I firmly believed mous0 was for the thinkpad internal substitute for external mouse. It is not, it seems the internal substitute is hard wired.

All the time when I was changing and trying different variables for mouse1 nothing happen because the external mouse was controlled by mouse0 and that "InoutDevise" in xorg.conf did not have

Option "Buttons" "6" defined. When I entered this line 6 buttons was recognized.

How can I avoid running "xmodmap -e pointer" every time I boot , include "xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 6 3 4 5 2" or.....??????????

When I run xev command all the buttons is recognized exept left side Thumb button mapped to number 2.

When I run this I was surpriced:

[root@192 X11]# chkconfig --list | grep -i 'usb\|plug\|dev\|hard'
rawdevices      0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
netplugd           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off    4:off    5:off   6:off
hotplug             0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off    4:off    5:off   6:off
harddrake        0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
udev                  0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Can anyone explain this output taken into account all the "off"

Finally the remaining problem with thumb button must be solved. Another protocol or...????????

I feel I have done my homework. Can you please help me with the Thumb button??????

Each of the numbers are runlevels, they refer to:

RunLevel 3 = Boot to Prompt

RunLevel 5 = Boot to X (KDE, Gnome, etc, etc)

RunLevel 6 = Shutdown/Reboot

other runlevels are for single user mode, etc, etc.

netplugd is so the ethernet card can detect a network heartbeat, and it will bring the link up or down when connected/disconnected.

hotplug is to allow devices to be plugged in whilst the system is running, and have them recognised without having to be rebooted. From what I've experienced, mostly for USB devices.

You can enable both these, by typing:

chkconfig netplugd on

chkconfig hotplug on

I have been very stubborn and stupid.
That's how we learn :cheeky:
the Yin Yety. You where so close, more than close, 2 times when You wrote:
* My guess here is that the X server on which those commands are running has the "Buttons" parameter set to 5 for the mouse. and

* My idea is that all this time, your server was actually using Mouse0 and completely ignoring Mouse1.

You where right all the time. If you at that time had proposed to add Buttons = 6 the problem could have been solved a little bit earlier. But then I would not have learned by go the slow route.

There's a saying (Chinese if I remember correctly), that says that it is not the destination that is important, but rather it is the travel that is important :)
it seems the internal substitute is hard wired.
As it is for my laptop. You should be safe as long as you don't move buttons 1, 2, and 3 around with xmodmap. At least, I hope so...
Option "Buttons" "6" defined. When I entered this line 6 buttons was recognized.

How can I avoid running "xmodmap -e pointer" every time I boot , include "xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 6 3 4 5 2" or.....??????????

When I run xev command all the buttons is recognized exept left side Thumb button mapped to number 2.

Now that the ground is more solid, you may start my "tutorial" over. In it, you'll see that my own thumb button is number 8! So for my mouse, 6 would be too low.

As for the xmodmap command, as I write in my article, /etc/profile is a possible file, but I'm sure there's a better one. In fact, now that I have more experience, I think the right file would be /etc/X11/Xsession but I can't check that because I'm not on Linux right now...

Keep learning, and you'll be a guru before you realise :)

Yves.

I really don't know. I don't even know if it is possible to go higher than 9 (ie: two digits). However, it might be worth checking if you have better luck with another protocol. See if that helps:

http://www.x.org/X11R6.8.2/doc/mouse.4.html

Yves.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friends,

I been away for some times but I have also tried and tried. :cry:

PARTLY SOLVED

theYin Yeti (www.x.org/X11R6.8.2/doc/mouse.4.html) says the TB is defined as button 4. That means I have to move the wheel to no 5 and 6 and that don't work at least not in Protocol "ExplorerPS/2, MouseManPlusPS/2 and Intellimouse.

The wheel must be 4 and 5. Consequently the TB is not recognized in "xev".

When I define MB as no6 instead of 2, both original "MB2" and TB is recognized as button 6 but then the wheel is not recognized. Apart from this; I am not able to get wheel working at all when I connect it to the PS/2 port.

Connected to USB port the wheel work but not the TB. After all this struggle I am sadly come to point when I am willing to forget about the TB. After all the wheel is the most important and LB, MB and RB work as expected. :juggle:

I believe that 2006 Power Pack have solved this problem and I am waiting for the CD's in mail any day now.

I thank everybody who have contributed with help on the mouse problem.

I am opening a new topic for advise on installing 2006 even though I will wait until some of biggest bugs are sorted out.