Optical MouseMan wheel 5 buttons

Arne

Hello Guys,

I try to get my Optical MousMan Wheel (5 buttons) to work for after trying any times before. Google search reveals there are many setup for XF86Config as there are sites.

I try advice from a site "Linux Reviews" since it looks clear and straight forward.

Firts I locate startkde and get:

[arne3@192 arne3]$ ls /dev/input

mice mouse0

Many advice that "hotplug" should active and 'urpmi hotplug' get:

[root@192 arne3]# urpmi hotplug

Everything already installed

The interesting section of XF86Config is edited to include the following:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse0"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "MouseManPlusPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Option "Buttons" "5"

EndSection

And in the end of the file I edited Mouse1 to mouse0 and it looks like this:

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier "layout1"

InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

Screen "screen1"

EndSection

Then I enter:

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 5 3 2 4"

Reboot, eager to test my wheel mouse to see if it works.

Konqueror: Dont work

Opera: Dont work

Abiword: Dont work.

What am I missing whats wrong?????????????????

The mouse is actually a USB mouse but I use it as a ps/2 mouse with adapter. According to what I have read Linux can handle this as long as it's a PS/2.

I have tried many of the other configurations for XF86Config even mcc which don't work either.

I have put a low priority on this problem before but now when many other more important problem is solved I insist on fix this since it's speed up work in many programs not at least Web browsing.

Has anyone on this forum have the same mouse and mdk 10.1 got all 5 buttons to work. please give me the right direction.

And as usual I very happy to hear from anyone even if you don't have the same mouse

Any reply will be highly appreciated.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello again,

I have been trying so many configuration for XF86Config I have able find but no luck so far.

THEFROGX has open a tread: "usb problem, Help me configure usb devices."

theYinYeti

mentioned a possibillity that a laptop having several internal buttons and my case a "CorePointer" if an external mouse is not available. Then Linux try to run the external mouse as mice (read: internal "mouse") it fails since the external mouse don't accept this commands.

This is interesting and I believe maybe that is the core of my problem to.

In my case /dev/input do not change wether the mouse is inserted or not and always shows: 

[root@192 arne3]# cd /dev/input 

[root@192 input]# la 

./  ../  mice  mouse0

and

[root@192 input]# lsusb 

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0605 Genesys Logic, Inc. 

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

I don't know what that tells me other than Genesys Logic is not my mouse which is Logitech.

theYinYeti also wrote:

I would also like to know what the little experiment below would lead to:  Ctrl+Alt+F1 will take you to virtual console number 1.  login as root, and run:   

CODE  X :1 -configure &>trace.log   

How does the configuration go? Is the mouse detected? What is the content of trace.log?

When I run this:

It's more than one page. The screen shifted to fast to enable me to read it. After along listing of devices/commands it end up with the following:

(ee) Failed to load module "via" (once-only module, -1073748184) 

(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"   

Xorg detected your mouse at device /dev/mouse. 

Please check your config if the mouse is still not operational, as by default Xorg tries to autodetect the protocol.   

Your xorg.conf file is /root/xorg.conf.new   

To test the server, run 'X -xf86config /root/xorg.conf.new 

cat xorg.conf.new show the following extract for mouse:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse0"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "auto"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

EndSection

theYinYeti, I wonder, on the other tread you introduced an Identifier "External" and and to also add that to the "Service Layout". How is this "external" identified by the system. Is it in "Server layout" or under "InputDevices" section ?????????

My existing Server Layout has

Input device: "mouse0" "CorePointer" Is this refering to the pointer in the middle of my keyboard which is used to move the cursor whitout a external mouse. ???????

It is confusing that sometimes it's refered to XF86Config and sometimes to Xorg.conf. Is the latest one picking up info from XF86Config because I have always edited tthe last one. ?????

Please theYinYeti, can you reply to my tread as well because I think you are on to something, and I am very much still a newbie.

theYinYeti mentioned a possibillity that a laptop having several internal buttons and my case a "CorePointer" if an external mouse is not available. Then Linux try to run the external mouse as mice (read: internal "mouse") it fails since the external mouse don't accept this commands.

This is interesting and I believe maybe that is the core of my problem to.

Honestly, I didn't understand what you wrote, but I think it is because you're getting some things mixed.

First, you have to know that X works by dealing with "events": mouse events, keyboard events, and so on. A typical system has only one main "pointer", which can be (depending on the system and depending on your job): a tablet, a mouse, an optical pen, a joystick, a PDA pen...

This main pointer is the "CorePointer" in X (in your case a mouse).

Sometimes, you want to have a second device attached to the same pointer (eg: you have both a tablet and a mouse, or you have your laptop's "mouse-stick" and an external mouse). To do that, you tell X that you have another device that is not the CorePointer, but can still send X events (of the mouse kind usually).

I don't know how differently both are managed by X. I assume the CorePointer has more priority.

"mice" is the plural of "mouse". /dev/input/mice is there for seeing the X events of all pointing devices at the same time. It is a cool device for when you only have one mouse because then you don't have to look for the exact device. But as soon as there are more than one pointing device, I think using "mice" results in a mess.

In my case /dev/input do not change wether the mouse is inserted or not and always shows:
[root@192 arne3]# cd /dev/input 

[root@192 input]# la 

./  ../  mice  mouse0

and

[root@192 input]# lsusb 

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0605 Genesys Logic, Inc. 

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

I don't know what that tells me other than Genesys Logic is not my mouse which is Logitech.

The fact that your devices remain always the same is not bound to be a problem. I don't know for your Thinkpad, but for my Toshiba, the "mouse-stick" (internal) and the external mouse are one and the same: it is managed in hardware: when the external mouse is plugged in, the internal one gets disabled, and it is enabled again when the external mouse is unplugged. This laptop was done at a time when all PS/2 mice used the same "PS/2" protocol, so only PS/2-protocol-compatable mice can be plugged to my laptop.

As for the "Genesys" thing, it is indeed strange, but I don't think it is important. If you plug your USB mouse through a PS/2 adapter, then the USB system probably can't detect it correctly. It doesn't matter as long as the PS/2 subsystem does recognize it.

theYinYeti, I wonder, on the other tread you introduced an Identifier "External" and and to also add that to the "Service Layout". How is this "external" identified by the system. Is it in "Server layout" or under "InputDevices" section ?????????

My existing Server Layout has

Input device: "mouse0" "CorePointer" Is this refering to the pointer in the middle of my keyboard which is used to move the cursor whitout a external mouse. ???????

"external" is just a name I gave. I could have chosen "MyMouse" or "qsjflqms" and it wouldn't have changed a thing. For the rest, see the previous answers.

It is confusing that sometimes it's refered to XF86Config and sometimes to Xorg.conf. Is the latest one picking up info from XF86Config because I have always edited tthe last one. ?????

Please theYinYeti, can you reply to my tread as well because I think you are on to something, and I am very much still a newbie.

We all are at one time :)

XFree86 and X.Org are two possible X servers for Linux. XFree86 used to be the default, but X.Org now is. to know which one you're using, run this:

rpm -qf $(which X)

You should see if the little article I wrote gives you the help you need. Ask questions if you have problems.

http://yves.gablin.club.fr/pc/linux.php?article=config/mouse

Yves.

I don't have the "xev" command on my mdk 10.1OE. Is it any other command to be used or is it included in my distro package?????

Without this I cannot follow the notes on your "http://yves.gablin.club.fr/pc/linux.php?article=config/mouse"

I am working on this issue now and will reply on the other points

Arne

Edited by Arne

Hello, the xev command should be in "XFree86-contrib" or something like that (even if your X server is X.Org... I don't know why).

What "media" do you have installed in your media manager (in Mandriva Control Center, software section)? And what does this say:

urpmf bin/xev

Yves.

I have Main, contrib and updates + The 6 cd's

urpmf bin/xev gives:

X11R6-contrib: /usr/X11R6/bin/xev

3 times that strange. I downloaded the media just last week and have not updated yet. Is my media not in order then?????

Should I run urpmi X11R6-contrib ??????

arne

That was a heavy one 66Mb in all 6 packages but urpmi is a champ. My god what a smoth ride, I am very impressed. Yes my xev command is working.

Without any reason I plugged the mouse (which is a USB mouse) into my multiUSB reader and then the wheel was working like a charm. No setup no alterations, why????

xev gives: LB=1, MB=2, RB=3, Thumb button=2. I cannot get wheelUP and wheelDown number since xev enters text in the teminal continuesly and stop when I delete xev window, no button numbers is shown. Is this OK since it must be 4 and 5 right???

I then run:

lsmod l grep evdev 
cat /proc/bus/input/devices

with the mouse in USBport and got (deleted the keyboard output):

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0001 Version=0000  
N: Name="PS/2 Generic Mouse"  
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0  
H: Handlers=mouse0 event0 ts0  
B: EV=7  
B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  
B: REL=3

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c501 Version=0910
N: Name="Logitech USB Receiver"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:07.2-1.3/input0
H: Handlers=mouse1 event2 ts1            <---------- the line of interest
B: EV=2000f
B: KEY=1f0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=103
B: ABS=100 0
B: LED=fc00

google to http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsect...hp?articleid=46 and found what looks like a good aproach. They recommend to add the following section to xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "mouse[1]"
Driver "evdev"
Option "device" "/dev/input/event2"  #(cat /proc/bus/input/devices)
Option "name" "Logitech MouseMan+"
EndSection

In the code I have put in the my case info, see above. I believe this section is not complete at least Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" should be added.?????

What's your opinion about this??????

My mouse is 4 buttons + 2 for the wheel, all togehter 6. According to your HOWTO I would like use the thumb button instead of MB wheel button. So my should be:

xmodmap -display :0 -e "pointer = 1 6 3 4 5 2

Is this correct???????

I order to avoid running this "xmodmap...." every time I boot a script has to be made. If so, How should the script look like and where should I place it in mdk 10.1????

Please give the details since my script knowledge is poor.

I can't help with the kernel-events-based driver. "4 5" for the Z axis is only if your UB and DB are 4 and 5; you may try.

For the "basic" solution, what "Protocol" did you try? What "Buttons" number, too? For checking the mouse numbers, you have to place the mouse pointer above the xev window, and click without moving the mouse. Write down the number, if any, and then you can move the mouse.

Yves.

I have no preference and I need help so we go back to what you call basic.

I dont mind using the usb port.

I can confirm that UB=4 and DB=5

MB=2

I have not tried to use Basic as you call it or any Protocol yet.

Can we take from there, please

...Humm, it seems my posts are not clear enough...

"basic" was a word I chose as I did not know how to name this solution. It is not at all a protocol. As for the "Protocol", you'll see this is one line in the mouse configuration in xorg.conf (X.Org) or XF86Config-4 (XFree86). And beside the word "Protocol" is another word: the actual protocol you use. If I remember correctly I used "ExplorerPS/2"; this is what I'd like you to tell me: what value did you put next to the "Protocol" keyword. Same for the "Buttons" keyword.

Yves.

OK I was thinking you meant Basic as opposite to eventdriven drivers.

This it what I been trying sofar:

Section "InputDevice"      
Identifier "mouse1"      
Driver "mouse"      
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"      
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse1"      
Option "SendCoreEvents"      
Option "Buttons" "6"      
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"    

and in "ServerLayout" I added this line:  
InputDevice "mouse1"

When I try this I normally reboot. Can you please tell me how to log off X.org and log on without reboot since it will be more conveniant and faster????

Thanks for hanging on

To just restart X, hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (save your data before because all applications will quit).

As you have a Logitech mouse like me, I suggest you try and follow the instructions on my page exactly (eg: Buttons= 8 or 9, and Protocol as said over there).

Yves.

Thanks for reply.

I will follow your advice anmd follow your HOWTO.

The status is; when my mouse i conneted to USB:

All my buttons are recognized and work and my wheel is working as well, but MB and Thumbutton is both = 2

When my mouse is connected to PS/2 port:

Only LB=1, and RB=3 are recognized and works

The following code as in your HOWTO applied in addition to the existing Input section:

Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier "Mouse1"
 Driver "mouse"
 Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
 Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
 Option "Buttons" "8"
#Option "XAxisMapping" "4 5"  #since this is what I have
 Option "Resolution" "400"

And in ServerLayout I will put:

"ServerLayout"
 InputDevice "Mouse1"

I will report back, thank's

This is what I got:

[root@192 arne3]# xmodmap -display :0 -e "pointer = 1 2 3 8 7 4 5 6" >/dev/null2>&1  
xmodmap:  commandline:0:  bad number of buttons, must have 5 instead of 8  
xmodmap:  1 error encountered, aborting.  

[root@192 arne3]# xmodmap  -e "pointer = 1 2 3 8 7 4 5 6"  
xmodmap:  commandline:0:  bad number of buttons, must have 5 instead of 8  

[root@192 arne3]# xmodmap  -e "pointer = 1 6 3 4 5 2"  
xmodmap:  commandline:0:  bad number of buttons, must have 5 instead of 6  

Either the protocol don't suport more than 6 buttons, unlikely since you can use more than 5 buttons or could it be that

" -display :0" points to the generic PS/2 port device.

Can you please explain this argument????