Pentium I continued

disco_lad

If you do happen to need to burn them again, suggest you burn at the slowest speed possible. I've only had one burn problem, and that was with Debian last night, so a wasted DVD.

I have since redownloaded and will be attempting again tonight. The slower you burn it, I hear it'll be more reliable for you, and less chance of burn errors, etc.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After many days away from the computer I remade the linux CD and verified that they were good downloads. I started to burn the CD and set the burning speed to the lowest possible speed 8X. I started the computer up and began to load the CD past what I was able to do. So yes my CD was crap now I am wondering why is it frezzing up now.Could it be the same problem? after mandrake ask what CD's to install it frezzes up Saying looking for advailable packages. I left the computer running over night since I didn't know how long would it take and well it's still stuck at the screen. could it be my crapy buring again or hardware problem???

i'm sorry to hear you're having this much trouble. i've heard of whole spindles of blank cd-r's being bad....but i think it's rare. i guess you can always buy the cd's somewhere and have them sent to you. if you're looking to check the image isos, i found a wonderful program in windows called winmd5sum (or somethng like that). it worked great and even error checks for me.

good luck! most people would've given up already. your determination says alot about you.

Here's a link I've looked at. Might be the best bet for you with all the problems you're having. I'm having burning problems at the minute too, and not sure whether it's my DVD's being the wrong type, or that they're fault or burning at 4x instead of slower. All I can do is experiment.

Or, I can buy from here: http://www.linuxcd.org/

They ship all around the world too!

I think I might have a hardware problem because I installed on another computer with the same hard drive, and it works to a degree with a 1.6GB HD. So I don't know what problem I could have since I had Windows Me running no problem. Right now I am playing with SuSE 9.0 Live. I notice that I really need lots of hard drive space since KDE and Gnome takes lots of HD space. when linux creates it's file structure does it have to be cut into 3 partitions, hda #, swap, hda #(I forget what number), in the size that it defaulted to? When I let linux configure it self I get 650~700 mb on my 1.6 hard drive, can I adjust it so I can get more for OpenOffice? I am trying to fit every thing I need for seting up a server and web page design stuff. (I'm cheating with OpenOffice because I am being lazy). Do you think it's possible?

during the mandriva install there are a couple options for hard disk partitioning. i believe (this is how it used to be i think) you can choose a "simple" partitioning which is one big partition labeled '/'. it sounds like you chose the "with /usr" option. it will partition the drive into three smaller partitions (hda1,swap, hda2 probably depending on what else is on the drive): '/', swap and '/usr'. if you choose the 'server' partitioning you could potentially get alot of partitions. it also sounds like you let the installer auto-allocate the partition sizes. this isn't a bad move if you have plenty of drive space. if you're in a pinch and you KNOW that you're not going to fill up the /usr or / partition you can always pick a smaller size during the install process.

the size of your swap partition is also something that's debatable. my home desktop rarely ever hits swap. but i have plenty of ram. if you have less ram (say probably 192 MB or less these days) you're going to hit swap more and more. i've heard some people say pick 1.5 times your ram amount for your swap. but who knows these days. some people could probably get away without much at all (maybe any). but on an older machine, you will probably not be so fortunate.

anyone correct me on this stuff. i'm a constant learner myself.

well for the newer computer has a 2.4 pentium 4 with 512MB RAM, and it's not for games as I said before so my radion 9000 pro 128 MB ram Card doesn't matter. I though when you have 1.5X for swap for ram it's only for windows because it's such a resource hog. I doubt since I am using it for person server (ei. learning purpose) it would not matter that it is not a big swap file since I have 512 MB RAM. When I was in the install process there was only auto or custom size to create the file structure. How do I change the other stuff that you mention and what are they for?

I have training video's for Linux and SQL. For linux do you think I should try to watch them eventhough I do not have linux running properly or should I get linux running on my other computer then try as I learn? As for SQL I installed them on my present computer. I don't seem to beable to acess them. Could it be because it's the basic's on mandrake and the video has a full version of SQL? Or I just am too new to linux know where to look for it on the hard drive?