Firefox libstdc++ error (when trying to install)

NewAgeLink

I have to update to Firefox 1.0.7 (won't let me download/install any extensions until I do.)

So I download it and go by what https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=10615 & http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/re...nloadandinstall have to say... the result?

./firefox-installer-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I do a search and locate this thread: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...8286&hl=firefox

So I then try:

[daniel@localhost firefox-installer]$ urpmi libstdc++
bash: urpmi: command not found
[daniel@localhost firefox-installer]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost firefox-installer]# cd /home
[root@localhost home]# urpmi libstdc++
unable to access hdlist file of "updates", medium ignored
no package named libstdc++
[root@localhost home]#  

Now what? :( Also, see http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...763268#1763268; I've tried going through the MCC... search for installable packages, and it doesn't return any results, either. :(

Edited by NewAgeLink

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you use MCC to install programs ???. After all that is what it is there for.

I cannot fathom why so many newbies insist on using the CLI when they know little or next to nothing about Linux. This comment is not aimed specifically at you so please, there is no offence intended.

If you were to use MCC and looked in the install new software and scrolled down the menu you would see libstdc ++ quite clearly there, then it is only a matter of clicking on install and the installer tells you which cdroms to insert. It really is that simple. The only time you won't see libstdc++ in there is if it is already installed so you would see it in the remove software section of MCC.

Cheers. John.

Hm, "libstdc++6-3.4.3-7mdk" IS listed under the Software Packages Removal ...

Why, then, do I get the errors I do? (It seems to me, AussieJohn, that you didn't read my posts, or, if you did, that you merely skimmed over them.)

As I said:

./firefox-installer-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

My only guess is that libstdc++.so.5 and libstdcc++6-3.4.3-7mdk are two different things, whatever they are.

And, if you read the mozillazine thread I linked to, you'd know that I've searched in the installable software / install software packages, and it shows no search results.

So are these two libstdc things two different things? If so, where do I go to find and install "libstdc++.so.5"?

Edited by NewAgeLink

They are different, they are libraries that programs need, a bit like DLL's in Windows.

In Install Software, is there any lib files listed at all, or are both the libstds versions listed in Remove Software?

If they are both in Remove Software, suggest removing them, and then reinstalling them in case there is a problem somewhere with the currently installed versions.

Firefox wants the libstds++.so.5 so this will have to be installed if it's not already.

Hope that helps!

I kinda got the impression they were like Windows' DLLs...

Dynamic Linked Libraries...

shared libraries...

hey, there's a connection here...

I just didn't want to say it in case I was completely wrong. I'm already enough of a newbie as it is... lol.

And I search "lib*" and any combination therein, no search results return. I'm starting to think the search thing might not be working correctly. Give me something else to search for to make sure the search is in fact working...

As for the lib's that ARE installed? There are a ton of libs*'s, but libstdcc++6-3.4.3-7mdk is the only libstd* file (I'm using the asterisk as a wildcard, here.)

Downloaded gaim-1.5.0-0.mdk10.0.i586.rpm from http://gaim.sourceforge.net/downloads.php (Gaim 1.5.0 (Mandrake 10.0) - gaim-1.5.0-0.mdk10.0.i586.rpm) to desktop, double-clicked it and it said:

Warning

unable to access hdlist file of "updates", medium ignored

I clicked "OK"; it then seemed to install it, and said "Installation finished."

I hope this works...

I run 'gaim' and click Help > about; it still says v1.1.4, instead of 1.5.0...

Edited by NewAgeLink

If you visit the easyurpmi link at the top of this page you can add your urpmi mirrors, such as main, contrib, jpackage, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree.

Best to add them all, then if there are any dependencies, which gaim was looking for, then you can find it nice and easy. Also, you might find that libstd file once all the urpmi sources have been added.

And no worries, I was a newbie not so long ago, and I only know a little bit now!!! :P

I suggest you remove the old version of Gaim before installing the new one.
Tried that, and now I have no gaim at all. (It said and did exactly the same thing.) Should I try removing libgaim-remote0-1.1.4-3mdk as well?

p.s. Remember to update your rpm sources from time to time through MCC.
How? I click "Look at available updates and apply any fixes or upgrades to installed packages" and it says
You already have at least one update medium configured, but all of them are currently disabled. You should run the Software Media Manager to enable at least one (check it in the Enabled? column).

Then, restart Mandrakelinux Update.

I have no clue what "Software Media Manager" it's talking about. Edited by NewAgeLink

I clicked Easy-Urpmi at the top of the page and it gave me these errors and then loaded the rest of the page:

Warning: touch(): Utime failed: Permission denied in /home/mandrake/public_html/easyurpmi/functions.inc on line 170

Warning: touch(): Utime failed: Permission denied in /home/mandrake/public_html/easyurpmi/functions.inc on line 215

Not sure if I should continue...

Tried that, and now I have no gaim at all. (It said and did exactly the same thing.) Should I try removing libgaim-remote0-1.1.4-3mdk as well?

Yes, all parts of Gaim should be removed.

How? I click "Look at available updates and apply any fixes or upgrades to installed packages" and it says

I'm talking about the regular sources. You can do that through the Media Manager (the same place where update/install/remove is in MCC)

Yes, all parts of Gaim should be removed.

'kay, everything that turned up when i typed 'gaim' has been removed. (The abovementioned program was something "for remote control of gaim," whatever.)

So I double click the rpm on my desktop, it asks for the root password, then again:

"unable to access hdlist file of "updates", medium ignored

I click OK, 'Installing package `gaim', (1/1)', bar goes all the way, "Installation finished", click Done, still no gaim -- oh ho! Menu > Run Command... "gaim" loads it, and Help > About lists it as v1.5.0...

But there's nothing in the menu; how do I edit the menu (or fix this problem?)

I'm talking about the regular sources. You can do that through the Media Manager (the same place where update/install/remove is in MCC)

Where, exactly? Only other option other than install/remove/update (which doesn't work) under Software Management is "Select from where software packages are downloaded when updating the system".

-- oh, it seems that IS the Media Manager. I click the checkbox in the Enabled column, like it says, and click OK, but when i go to the update thing it says the same thing, and I go back into it and the checkbox has been unchecked again, like my 'enable, OK' didn't go through...

If you had looked at libstdc++5***, in MCC you would have seen that the File iibstdc++so.5 is one of its file parts. It tells you this in the information on the right side, either in the already installed section if it is already installed, or in the install software section if it isn't.

libstdc++6*** will contain a file libstdc++so.6. and it is very likely that it would do the same job.

John..

Edited by AussieJohn

You can get the lib file Firefox needs @ http://rpm.pbone.net/
Um... can't find it? I'm only finding .rpm files, btw...