Firefox can't connect

Guest ugurboylu

Guest ugurboylu

Using mandriva 2006. just new to linux, also installed suse 9.3 Prof on another machine. Same problem on this machine too.

Konqueror, K-mail and kopete can connect to internet, but firefox can't connect. (Also the Mandriva update can't also connect) If i open a website on konqueror, then i could open the same on firefox. But i should open a page on konqueror first, otherwise firefox can't find any site. Writing the ip of site also works.

Same problem on suse machine.

Any thoughts?

[moved from Networking by spinynorman]

I think if you do this, you should be fine:

Launch Firefox

In the url/address bar, type "about:config" (without the quotes).

Type "ipv6" in the filter box.

Change "False" to "True".

This will disable IPV6 in Firefox, and you should now be able to browse. :P

but mcc update still can't find mirror sites. althoug it advises to replace the adresses i like, i don't know how...

I suggest you try a different mirror. You can use the Software Media Manager to change them (Menu -> Configuration -> Packaging -> Software Media Manager).

Use the Easy-Urpmi link at the top of this page to get mirror sites and the relative path to the synthesis/hdlist.

Also, some good links:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=10600

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=10611

For updating your system you need to either disable IPV6 systemwide or lock your /etc/resolv.conf with working DNS server addresses. Use the search tool on the following keywords: ipv6, modprobe.conf and chattr /etc/resolv.conf. You will find some information there how to disable IPV6 and /or modify your DNS servers.

Also, make ure that you have enabled security- and normal software-updates for your system (e.g. in MCC check the relevant boxes)