Does this exist?

liquidzoo

I am looking for a program that I can use to edit/save M$ Access .mdb files. I need this for a class I am taking and I hate booting into windows since I got 9.0 configured to my liking. Just curious if there is a prog like that out there in the Linux community. Thanks.

The only thing I know of is exporting your data in Excel format and then using one of the Linux spreadsheet programs like KSpread. I used to work exclusively with Access databases and using Excel was my preferred way of looking at data anyway.

you're right, it would be easier to look at the files in Excel format, but that's not why I need the program. I need to open and change an Access file for a class I'm in. I have looked at Open Office, but that doesn't have what I need. Haven't tried Star Office yet. I will run a search on the old board and see what I can come up with.

Some other search topics to check out are

mysql, odbc, "microsoft access", linux, ibm

I'm guessing abit since I do database programming on windows, but if you can get odbc installed, then you can use mysql to open a connection through odbc to the access database.

Had a thought (yes it hurt!) Check out www.freshmeat.net... here's an example..

http://freshmeat.net/projects/mdbtools/

Use the search engine to get what you need and try to find a project that has utilities so yoiu don't have to reinvent the wheel..

I followed your links and downloaded the mdbtools from freshmeat.net. Works just great for what I need it for.

On another note, though, it turns out that I had to use winblows anyway. Guess I should have read the assignment a little more carefully. Damn M$ bias.

This is nice stuff, thanks for the link.

On a side note, Open Office does not handle MS Access files or database right now. In the future version it will (likely) support direct access to MySQL database.

If you do want to use databse in OO now, you can check these articles at PCLinuxonline:

OpenOffice.org sites

OpenOffice.org 1.0, ODBC, and MySQL 'How-to'

yeah OO supports odbc i have looked at that article before would much rather not use odbc.

Your only easy option's in linux that i know of at the moment is to use PHP/MySQL/Apache setup but thats not dynamic which can be a problem, but it is very usefull for alot of things.

html -> printing can be a bitch as html was not made to be a good language to print from.

In which case you can use freepdf www.fpdf.org which is a php class that you can generate pdf's.

pdf's being good for printing as pdf is derived from postscript.

Static html as i said can be a problem in some situations you can make webpages appear fairly dynamic with javascript but in some cases that isn't enough.

In which case you would need to use something like java, c, c++, or php-gtk.

If you know php and nothing else php-gtk would be your best bet.

you can of course use a mixture of the webpage/app.

If there was an access for linux would you want to use it?

access is a terrible database.

• 2 months later...

As this mdbtools seems to be just what I need, I downloaded a rpm package of mdbtools. When trying to install it (coubleclick on downloaded file, rpmdrake starts), I get a message that libreadline.so.4 is missing. Found this, tried to install the rpm, get message that libc.so.6 is missing. I fear I can continue this way ad infinitum.

Was this procedure that I used (download rpm, double click) too simple? I use Mdk 9.0.

Can anybody give me a hint how to proceed?

Find out where the missing file is from and download it using http://www.rpmfind.net in terminal mode as root. Do not use urpmi but rpm -Uvh instead. If you need the program then it is worth getting the required files. If you end up with a circular dependency issue install them all on one line as in rpm -Uvh xxxx.rpm yyyy.rpm zzzz.rpm. If the line is longer that 80 characters, just keep typing without a break.

Counterspy