10.1 soundcard problem [solved]

Guest bradg

Hello folks. Total newbie here.

I've installed 10.1 everything seems to be working well save for the sound. The sound card is an Abit AU10. The card shows as working in all the tests I've tried. Nothing seems to be muted and alsa is running.

Also when I try and use a USB flash drive its mount OK, but Konqueror wont launch. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Any suggestions anyone has will be gratefully received.

Cheers folds

Brad.

Welcome to MUB.

About the sound problem recheck the following:-

Open Mandriva Control Centre (MCC)------> Hardware ------>Configure Hardware and look for SoundCard in the menu. Click on the sound card listed and it will show details on the right side. Go to the bottom and select Run configuration tool. It will show the driver currently set but will also show one or more alternative drivers. Try it or one of the others if any at a later date if the points listed below do not fix the problem.

Open KDE Control Centre, click on Sound then Sound System and ensure there is a tick in both Enable the Sound System under the General tab and in Full Duplex under the Hardware tab then click apply.

One other point. When you open Kmix, make certain that the slider called PCM is set at about at least 80% and that a light green dot appears above Volume and also PCM, if they are a darker green then it means they are not activated. In fact try that first before trying the driver change.

I hope this is of help to you. Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Thanks for the replies folks. :thanks:

In the end, I decided to swap out the soundcard with another I had knocking about and bingo, I had sound. I can only think that the original card must have been generally incompatible.

As to the USB problem, I haven't been able to get it sorted as yet. When I download the updates, I get an error that the updates are not digitally signed and will not be installed.

Other than this my first experience with Linux proper has been pretty good. Talk about a steep learning curve though....

Brad.