Opera gives away ad-free browser

spinynorman

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow that was fast, I was just about to repost that I found the answer about it being part of Opera. I'll investagte wether or not it sahres mail. That was something I have not been able to do in Thunderbird. I'd perfer to not boot into windows, but the bosses (read wife and daugther insist on keeping it).

Ok- I'll admit it, I still use windows from time to time, and not just at work.

Hello Artee. I am still not convinced on your first point.

Sure it is a different strategy. They are in the game of making money and at the moment Firefox has drastically reduced that potential income.  Just look at the independant polls that try to quantify the % use of different browsers and you see Opera near the bottom and that was not the situation 6 months ago.

I'm not arguing with the competition that Opera is facing from FF. The point is that FF, being Free Software and popular as it is, it's practically immortal, just as Linux, KDE, GNU tools, etcetc.

On your second point about speed I don't know because I have never used it. But even if it is fast, it seems to me that the obsession for speed in saving a few seconds is mostly pointless.          A bit like feeling you MUST have a FERRARI that can do 200+mph when every freeway limits to 100mph max and so you can also save a couple of seconds between traffic lights .

Like, what tha ????.

Well, I would actually like to never ever have to wait for my computer. Opera is so fast, it hardly makes a difference if I read a file from my local drive or if I get it from a website with a fast server.

Honestly, the difference with FF is not so much that it matters a whole lot, but if a system is under load and/or not so fast it will make a difference.

Wasn't one of the points of Linux that one could make due with lesser hardware? And if opera runs faster on the same machine, doesn't that come down to the same thing? I don't see why it would be a plus for Linux but not for Opera.

On your third point, I can see no personal advantage to having mail in the browser. I can see one big practical advantage in having them separate and that is if for some reason one crashes then it doesn't take down the other as well. And yes yes, I know it is claimed that Opera never crashes but the principle still applies.

You like Opera and that is great for you and Opera, at least now thanks to Firefox we have REAL choice nowdays.

Cheers.                                    John.

The advantage of having mail in the browser is not the big deal, the point is that apparently many people like to have less different interfaces and programs to deal with. That, combined with the fact that it's crossplatform, means that there's one more choice for people on MSWin that smoothens the path to Linux.

As for thanking FF for getting us real choice, I respectfully disagree. We have always had real choice, Opera and Mozilla were fine, the difference is not so big compared to before FF came around. The hype around FF and the whole campaign got people to switch - and it is thanks to the people who switch that choice has become more real.

(But then again, shouldn't we also thank Apple for using khtml as a basis for safari?)

I've been without IE and on Linux for just about 4 years now (if memory serves). So I guess I've had a choice for a bit longer, which seemed real enough for me to take it at the time.

Haven't heard any complaints from my wife who's been using Mozilla on Mdk 10.1 up until 2 weeks ago (emergency install, dead harddrive), and she's never had any complaints about her web browser, so before FF life was livable too.

Nonetheless, I agree completely with you that not just free software but Free Software is the way to go, which is why I have the FF icon on my site and no icon for Opera...

Sweet! It was my fav for about a year but I got sick of the ads and hvaen't used it for about 2 years. Downloading now!

Cool! I don't know what you use as an email client but M2 is definitely worth checking out IMO.

Yes, I was using the beta when they first came out with it. I liked it a lot, especially having it within the browser but when I stopped using opera I switched to Evo and Balsa.

• 9 months later...

Whoa, what have I been missing? I recently installed Opera 9.01 to see how it rendered certain pages compared to firefox and IE, and discovered that it is one awesome browser! :thumbs:

One thing I really like is the very easy way that you can customize settings for each site you visit: F12 -> Edit Site Preferences and you can override default settings for categories General, Cookies, Content, Display, Scripting, Network.

Other features I like: mouseover thumbnail preview of each tab, Save/Recall Sessions, save Notes for a Website, great web standards support, did you close a tab and then find you want it back -> reload from trashcan.

Feature list is shown here:

http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/

It's version of firefox extensions is called widgets. Anyway, there's a lot to like with this browser.

EDIT: One negative - RSS/Atom Feeds built-in feature is not as good as firefox's, imo. I could find no way to create folders for managing the feeds, and also no way to sort them (move up/down feature).

Edited by jboy

You just discovered Opera? :P

Well, I had previously installed version 8 at one point, but I preferred firefox over that version so I deleted it.

But I find this new version 9 is a different story. It's great. I remember that you've been talking up Opera for some time, so I have to give you full credit for a prescient recommendation. Perhaps I'm a dunce :dunce2: (it won't be the first time) for taking so long to discover it! So you get a free pass to say "I told you so!" :D

I have used Opera for 3 years now (really dont know any other, tinkered with IE for 2months then switched) but I am disappointed with the linux version of Opera. In fact it would be the only thing that could draw me back to windows (under wine it runs beautifully but I cannot get the codecs to work properly...) :sad:

the linux version of opera isn't that different than it's windows counterpart...why in the name of zues would you run it under wine??? :screwy:

and to go back to windows because of a web browser? :screwy: :screwy: