Burning DVD iso's with K3B [solved]

Reiver_Fluffi

Hey there guys,

Having, er, problems. In the interest of cutting down the number of dics flying around, I downloaded the DVD iso the other day (4.4GB), well I tried to burn it with K3B last night, only to find that each time the burned disc did not match the md5sum. This was burned at 2x (the lowest my burner would let me, approx 2.7Mb/s. I am considering using other media (I have had problems with TDK CD's in the past), however I have noticed something strange. Konqueror reports the file siz to be 352 Mb, where as Nautilus shows the correct size of 4.4Gb. The md5sum of the iso is correct.

Any suggestions guys?

For info I'm running on a Athlon 64 3200+, with 1Gb RAM (2 x 512 DDR 400, paired to enable dual channel), burning on a NEC +/-16 DVD RW. I'm rinning 2005 LE, / and /home are just under 40Gb with plenty of free space and when I am burning I basically do nothing else, I just leave the comp to get on with it.

Any help appreciated, cheers guys!

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

How are you getting the md5sum of the burnt dvd? There might be a flaw in the method you're using. I always use the rawread script given here:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm

It's very accurate and based on the isoinfo command. It works eqally well with dvds.

If you have had trouble with this media in the past, I wouldn't hesitate to use something more compatible with your drive.

You can use:

dd if=/dev/cdrom1 | head -c `stat --format=%s mdk101oe-dvd/Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-DVD.i586.iso` | md5sum

where you can replace the part between `-quotes with the actual size in bytes of the original iso image.

If you do:

cmp /dev/cdrom1 mdk101oe-dvd/Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-DVD.i586.iso

(again, an example from the Mdk10.1 era) it should tell you it runs into the iso image's end-of-file / EOF, nothing else.

Sometimes RWs will not burn an iso properly.

I have found that burning isos only works with read-only discs whether dvd or ordinary cdroms.

I have never had problems with TDK but ocassionally had troubles with other brands so I have stuck with tdk for a very long time.

Cheers. John

John,

It's DVD-R discs that I am using at the moment, but thanks for the advice.

Guys, I am checking the md5sum using the following bash command for the iso file itself:

md5sum -c ./Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-DVD.i586.md5.asc

As for the DVD I am using the option in k3b to 'verify written data' which compares the md5sum of the disc to the md5sum of the original image.

I'm fairly sure the k3b verification is using the dd command in some manner although I haven't checked the code. k3b is, after all, just a nice graphical front end for a lot of utilities. Using dd is about the only way I know of generating an md5sum for a cd or dvd as well.

Here's some troubles you can run into. dd seems much more sensitive to me to read errors. When using the rawread script which uses dd and isoinfo, I would occaisionally get I/O errors reported on one dvd drive and a non-matching md5sum. Running the exact same procedure on another drive, everything would be fine. The normal error correction mechanisms for read errors on an optical drive seem not to be present when using dd; at least that's my theory. There was nothing wrong with the burn; the dd command just had problems reading it on one drive and no problems on the other.

You might be running into the same type of issue. This is particularlly true since you say you have had some problems with this type of media before on this drive. Problems with media generally indicate the drive is having a hard time reading the burned media. It might be OK under normal circumstances but not good enough for the touchy dd command which is at the heart of the md5sum verification.

Give the rawread script a try and I am pretty sure you will see some I/O errors reported. If that's the case, you can try running rawread on another box with a dvd drive and see what you get. However, instead of experimenting, you might just want to try media you know to be more compatible with your drive.