2005LE - Won't power off the computer?

Guest lironbot

Guest lironbot

Hi there folks :)

This is my first post here, so go easy on me, I have searched the forums for a resolution for my problem and have run a number of google searches so if this question has been asked before I apologize and would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

My name is Liron, and I have just purchased a new computer and installed 2005LE on it (couldn't wait for 2006 and didn't want to install an RC). When I shut down the computer from the KDE logout prompt, the machine goes through the shutting down sequence and stops just a few little before the progress bar reaches it's end. Hitting ESC for textual information reveals the text "power down", and nothing goes any further. To shut off my machine I need to manually hit the button.

Is this standard for 2005LE? I have run mdk 9.2 and 10.0 in the past two years and the system has always gone through the entire shutdown process.

Here are a few things worth mentioning:

- The machine reboots with no problems or user interaction required

- It seems as if all the drives been unmounted, no problem there.

- My system is entirely up-to-date with fixes from the update manager

- Upon next boot I DON'T recieve "system has been shut down uncleanly" warnings

- I have a ABIT motherboard, P4 3ghz

I realize that there is a possibility that this is not really damaging the computer in any way (in the case that all the drives really have been unmounted), but this is still one hell of a nuisance as I cannot set the machine to shut down at a specific time withough me having to wake up at 4am to turn the blasted thing off.

Thanks for any help!

Liron

lironbot.com

Welcome, don't worry we don't bite (well the house-trained ones anyway :D )

This is a common problem (for more detailed information try the search facility).

For a quick fix you could try appending

noapic apm=on

to your lilo configuration file (remember to update lilo afterwards or grub configuration file.

If you need help with either of these, there is plenty of information on the board (again the search facility will help you out here)

Leo

Welcome, don't worry we don't bite (well the house-trained ones anyway :D )

This is a common problem (for more detailed information try the search facility).

For a quick fix you could try appending

noapic apm=on

to your lilo configuration file (remember to update lilo afterwards or grub configuration file.

If you need help with either of these, there is plenty of information on the board (again the search facility will help you out here)

Leo

I would like to warn you that apm=on, is less likely to work as nowdays BIOS are ACPI aware (with some exceptions of course). The first and foremost thing to try is to (1) load acpi and acpid packages using urpmi; (2) open MCC -> "Boot" -> Check boxes "Use ACPI", "Do not use LAPIC" (or something similar, I can't check my LE2005 box right now). After reboot, you should be alright.

Guest lironbot

Thanks guys, for the help! The moment I manage to get out of the office I'll try to apply your suggestions. Before I do, though, could you perhaps give me a breif explanation about ACPI, or rather, what could happen to my machine if I turn this on and it malfunctions? I'd hate to wake up to yet another kernel panic *whines* :P

Again thanks for all the help :)

Liron

lironbot.com

[...]

I would like to warn you that apm=on, is less likely to work as nowdays BIOS are ACPI aware (with some exceptions of course). The first and foremost thing to try is to (1) load acpi and acpid packages using urpmi; (2) open MCC -> "Boot" -> Check boxes "Use ACPI", "Do not use LAPIC" (or something similar, I can't check my LE2005 box right now). After reboot, you should be alright.

The reason I use apm is that I also have an Abit board (KV7) and this is what works for me. The main problem appears to be APIC (not a typo, different from ACPI) though which Mandrake/Mandriva turn on by default and doesn't seem to play nicely with many motherboards (at least none of the four I have tried :P )

ACPI is essentially power managemnet functionality, mainly useful for laptops (although I am no expert) APM is another older protocol for power management.

APCI is beyond me (it is to do with interrupts received by the processor (see her for more detail)

It is well worth doing as coverup suggests though as weought to be using acpi, and it should not casue you pc to keel over.

Leo

Guest lironbot

Unfortunately enabling ACPI this did not work - it actually displayed the exact opposite behavior >_<

After installing and enabling, when I shutdown my computer, under the "power down" notice there is an "acpi_power_off called" notice, but the machine still hangs. This time, though, hitting the power button on the case doesn't shut it down - I can only hit the restart button in order to trigger some sort of response. Any ideas?

Thanks, guys!

Liron

lironbot.com

Have you tried turning off acpi and enabling apm instead (as above)?

If you post your lilo.conf or grubs menu.lst we can have a look at that for you.

Failing that you could always recompile your kernel to include apm modules as this has worked for me in the past (and it is not hard to do either :D )

Leo

Guest lironbot

Just out of curiousity, but don't the apm modules have to be compiled in before I set it to "on"? Recompiling the kernel is unfortunately out of the question for me - I'm a simple desktop user and that far exceeds the extent of my knowledge.

Thanks

Liron

There are some apm modules available in the default build (enough to make my ABIT board work).

As for compiling your own kernel, relax, it really is not as bad as it sounds. There are lots of instructions on the board and all you need to do is add in some new modules (you can base it on a pre-existing build so you don't have to worry about not understanding exactly how the rest of it works). You would be surprised how straight forward it is (plus it sounds cool to say you compiled your own kernel :D )

Remember DON'T PANIC!

Leo