installing jedit

aze

Huh?!?!

Follow this link:

http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=download

And just a little bit down the page is the link for the rpm. Right, it says that it is a red hat rpm. It is a java program, it will work on your computer. That is the rpm that I am running and I use it just about everyday. I am running Mandrake 9.0.

Because the program is java, there is not optimization possible for either different architectures or different distros. Download the Red Hat rpm.

sure there is. From the Homepage at the top left, click the Download link, and on the Download page look for

Binary RPM package 1.4 Mb (RedHat package for Linux)

whose properties are

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/jedit/j....3-1.noarch.rpm

same exact rpm from rpmpbone I posted a link to (properties) ftp://ftp.pbone.net/vol2/ftp.sourceforge.....3-1.noarch.rpm

Oh, I see!

sorry guys.

I already had saw the rpm in there but I don't downloaded it because I think it was only for redhat users.

Thank you! guys.

But now another problem: it says "package already installed" but it isn't because "jedit" at console doesn't works

Try

which jedit

to find the exec, or

rpm -ql jedit

and look for it in /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, ect.....

Or,

urpme jedit

to remove any jedit rpms

BUT, if you ever did make install, then you need to go back into the tarball source dir and do

make uninstall

though this shouldn't be stopping an rpm install.

which: no jedit in (/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin)

I tried everything!!!!

I give up jedit. I tried to install in windows too but it asked for java...

The only thing I know about java is that is a programming language.

I don't care if windows carry it or if java is already included in linux. I just want to install a featured editor!!!

Why should I look for program dependences by the internet? The developer should make an easy-to-install package.

Someone could suggest me an (instalable :D ) featured editor?

What kind of editor are you looking for? You should have kate, gedit, emacs, and vim already installed on your system. All of which are full featured editors.

Plus, in Linux, most editors are geared towards programmers anyway. jEdit is definitely aimed more at java developers then anyone else.

Every distro ships with some full featured editors already installed, just look for them.

Look, I have a 1.7Mb plain text file (/etc/hosts).

In windows (using the f***** notepad) I can perform replaces actions in this file within 5 seconds. And using (www.textpad.com - the best text editor I saw since work with computers) I can perform sort lines at that huge file in exactly 3 seconds. So I already tried the editors you suggested and none of them do those tasks as fast as I can do in windows. Also, if I modify a bit in that huge file linux editors take about 3 seconds to save this file (it's nothing but here we can see the poor eficience) while in windows it instantly!

Syntax highlight for programing? Nowadays every editor do that. But have you already tried to manipulate a 1.7Mb plain text file in linux's ediors? Or open a 5Mb jpeg in nautilus? If you did please tell me what programs did used. Another feature I really need is: if I'm editing a file an then another program make changes in this file the editor should warn me "This file was changed by another application. Reload it?" Textpad do that. Kate do this but have no performace to support 1.7Mb text file. Gedit haven't this feature. In textpad I just press ctrl+F2 and the current line is highlited and easy to locate. How do I do that in Linux's editors?

Also, if I modify a bit in that huge file linux editors take about 3 seconds to save this file
not gvim/vim...it's instant.

Or open a 5Mb jpeg in nautilus?
PLEASE pick something other than the worst and slowest fm linux offers!!!....eveything is slow in NOTilus :lol: ....besides, why are you using a fm to open an image?...there's image software for that. If you do want a fm for images, try Endeavour2.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=1654

Another feature I really need is: if I'm editing a file an then another program make changes in this file the editor should warn me "This file was changed by another application. Reload it?" Textpad do that.
so does gvim, and snappy! :wink:

In textpad I just press ctrl+F2 and the current line is highlited and easy to locate. How do I do that in Linux's editors?
again, gvim. It also remembers, and opens to where you left off when you closed a file.

i found gvim at rpmfind.net. but I'Il not try it because it always happens: "dependences are missing". from now on I'll not seek for software dependences. I'l just try to install once, if something give wrong or it asks for dependences I'll just delete it from my hd. I'm not a mule to catch dependences by the inet.

vim? really, I prefer edit.exe from ms-dos. vim have an unfunctional interface.

I don't believe don't exists a GOOD featured editor for linux.

Look,

I tried gvim at console (its isn't installed)

I tried to install gvim....rpm from rpmfine.net (need dependencies)

I tried rpmdrake (it was unable to find "gvim" in any CD 1,2,3)

Linux is starting to boring me!!! I accept that it isn't a easy-to-use OS, and that I need to research to learn it! BUT I DISAGREE I DOWNLOAD 3 CDS, MAKE A FULL INSTALLATION AND I CAN'T FIND MOST IMPORTANT SOFTWARES IN 3 CDS LIKE A FILE MANAGER, POWERFULL EDITOR (ABLE TO MANAGE BIG FILES) A-N-D ITS DEPENDENCIES

Tell me, what is linux used for? Only to be a powerfull server due to its stability or to be operated?

Ok. I'll try that. In a few days I back to this thread to post what I did.

Because for current days I'm really tired forcing myself to stay in linux.

Thank you for your attention guys. I'm not bored with you guys. You help me a lot! I'm bored with linux policy.

Maybe one week far from linux I can do things better.

• 7 years later...
Guest webmentors

why not download it directly from the site: www.jedit.org

Yes you can!

- download the Slackware package

- open with tar

- copy the files to usr start jedit - an error will show up as /usr/share/jEdit do not exist

- cd to /usr/share

- do: ln -s jedit-4.3.1 jEdit

run jedit :)