how should I do this?

aioshin

ok, I have 7 pc to be installed with Mandriva, the package to be install would be almost identical to each box, how should I be going to do an update that would reflect to all would be mandriva box?

something like updating only on one box, but all will be affected, or something like caching the updated package so that I could re-used that to the other box with-out doing or downloading again thus package to be able to conserve bandwidth....

I've read of something like this here before, I just forgot the term being used.

TIA

I think there's a parameter on urpmi so that when everything is installed, the items downloaded to /var/urpmi/cache/rpms isn't deleted after the install. Then you could move these over to var/urpmi/cache/rpms on the next box and then do the updates.

Sorry, I don't know what the parameter is exactly, but hope that helps a little bit.

[root@localhost ~]# urpmf --description park-rpmdrake

park-rpmdrake:Configure and update rpms on a park of hosts. The backend is parallel urpmi.

[root@localhost ~]# urpmf --description urpmi-parallel-ka-run

urpmi-parallel-ka-run:urpmi-parallel-ka-run is an extension module to urpmi for handling

distributed installation using ka-run tools.

[root@localhost ~]# urpmf --description urpmi-parallel-ssh

urpmi-parallel-ssh:urpmi-parallel-ssh is an extension module to urpmi for handling

distributed installation using ssh and scp tools.

[root@localhost ~]#

• 4 weeks later...

until now, I still dont get it, on how to do it right, I already installed park-rpmdrake but when I issued that command, it will just let me scan the network for those PC that I supposed to do a parallel urpmi... I tried google about urpmi --parallel but no detailed info, is it possible to do it behind a squid cache, so that all of the updated package will be cache and the next machine will be easy to update....?

I second the ideas of DragonMage and theYinYeti, either go for ftp server in your network, or - which is actually exactly what I currently do - export one partition/directory from a server and mount this (rw of course) as /var/cache/urpmi/rpms on machines you want to update.

To avoid any undesired deletion I just aliased urpmi to urpmi --noclean as a rule, and both my desktop machines mount that cache export at boot. So I can do any urpmi install and it will keep the downloaded files on the nfs server. Doing the same install again on another machine will just install directly, no 2nd download.