The New Mandriva

Ixthusdan

The new Mandriva penguin is excellent. Thank you for getting rid of that ghastly Micky Mouse bird and presenting us with a sophisticated look, just like the Users. :thumbs:

[moved from Talk-Talk by spinynorman]

post-22-1126842480_thumb.jpg

Ixthusdan,

if I may ask, how did you get so nice wide window bars on the panel?

If I make the panel 48 pixels large, I get all open windows bars ~ 16px high, stacked in columns of tree. Ugly. On a 36-panels they stack with 2 bars in a column. If I increase the font size, the letters simply do not fit in the window-bar box :screwy:

I also have KDE 3.4, on a x86_64 installation.

Actually, I didn't do it at all! This is the stock Mandriva desktop, with galaxy2 style. I just turned on the translucent menus. Thye penguin repeats in lilo and the kde splash. I really like what Mandriva has done with this release.

Oh, wait. I forgot that I added my fonts folder from windows. You are looking at the arial font, which scales much nicer than the stock fonts. Try changing your fonts.

It appears that that crazy penguin is gone forever, but a big thmbs up for the replacement, everything looks way more professional, IMHO (especially the installer and the boot spashes).

Although I'm not so sure about the sound that plays upon starting KDE (I heard that this mas a Mandriva addition, oh well they had to make for the loss of the penguine somehow).

Feeling quite brave as I am running on cooker the now, eeeeeeeeeeeeek! Won't be once I finally get a hold of the ISO's proper!

Cheers

It's certainly better than that truly freaky penguin (I don't have a graphical boot for that reason!). However, it does strike me as vaguely reminisent of Stalinist art posters - the brave Penguin looks boldly into the future, defying all enemies of truth and justice...

But definitely an improvement. Doesn't give you the feeling that the graphic designer was having a bad trip on something distinctly illegal.

When I first loaded LE2005, I had to turn off the boot loader and view in verbose mode because it just looked like a Linux "kiddies OS" with that penguin.

I agree, this is more palatable for business users, so they don't have to look like they're running a "kiddie" OS.

Don't judge an OS by it's penguin!!! :P

It's certainly better than that truly freaky penguin (I don't have a graphical boot for that reason!). However, it does strike me as vaguely reminisent of Stalinist art posters - the brave Penguin looks boldly into the future, defying all enemies of truth and justice...

But definitely an improvement. Doesn't give you the feeling that the graphic designer was having a bad trip on something distinctly illegal.

:lol: Now that is thought provoking! I still like it better for a distro that must appeal to business and general users. Mandriva is improving the offering. Now, if they would just market the product, we might start reading articles about linux taking on Micronobules rather than Google!

Well now that Dell is offering Mandriva as an alternative to XP I think Mandriva must be on the right track. With them already having HP doing the same I'm hopeful that more people will take a chance and find out what a great distro Mandriva is.

I have read elsewhere on the net in the past few days (can't remember where) but it seems it might be an urban myth resurfacing. I hope it is true but I am not at all convinced that Dell will do anything other than talk about offering Mandriva.

Cheers. John.

I have read elsewhere on the net in the past few days (can't remember where) but it seems it might be an urban myth resurfacing.  I hope it is true but I am not at all convinced that Dell will do anything other than talk about offering Mandriva.

Cheers.                              John.

no need to wonder anymore. http://linux.dell.com/desktops.shtml and http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/glo...=555&l=en&s=biz

http://linux.dell.com/distributions.shtml

While Dell only officially supports Red Hat Linux, we do recognize that people will want to run other distros. The mailing lists are a great resource for receiving support with these other distributions. For Red Hat related downloads for your Dell system