AMD64 3400+ CPU Speed Problem [solved]

Guest Lyuokdea

Guest Lyuokdea

just installed a copy of Mandrake for my AMD64 3400+ laptop. Everything seems to work well except that the operating system is not allowing the hardware to throttle down the processor to 800 Mhz from 2200 Mhz while I'm sitting around and not doing anything

This is a big problem because the processor is in a laptop, which wasn't really designed to take the heat output of 2200 Mhz day in and day out for hours on end. Does anybody know how to correct this problem?

~Lyuokdea

Guest Lyuokdea

ok, looking at the problem, I believe I need to switch my CPU driver over to a different version and then check the kernel to make sure that CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8 is enabled.

Currently when I run

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq

which is the full speed for the CPU.

And when I run:

cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU1/info

processor id: 0

acpi id: 1

bus mastering control: yes

power management: no

throttling control: no

limit interface: no

So it is obvious that throttling control is currently not running. My question is two fold, first, how do check and possibly change the driver for the processor, I tried using harddrake, but didn't find any configuration module for the processor driver. Also, how do I enable throttle control if the processor driver is correct?

Thanks for your help,

~Lyuokdea

As far as I know, Mandriva doesn't do throttling right out of the box. So you need to muck around with some configuration. First you need to install cpufreqd rpm in order to have a daemon that control cpu throttling. Then you can install cpudyn so that the throttling control is done automatically.

Take a look at this thread

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=17648&hl=

Anyway, as far as I know, Suse 9.3 is the first distro I've seen that does CPU throttling right out of the box. The problem is that Suse 9.3 feels noticably "heavier" than Mandriva 2005 LE. I think your computer can handle it though.

Guest Lyuokdea

ok, I installed the package and now the throttling seems to work sometimes, for instance, when I run the computer off of the battery, I see the CPU speed running at 800 Mhz. But I also want this throttling to occur when I have the computer plugged in and am just in a situation where I am not straining the processor much. I believe i need to change the /etc/cpufreqd.conf file to have it run in a different mode, but am not sure how to alter this file.

~Lyuokdea

Guest Lyuokdea

ok, I reset the conf file, and now it is running at 800 Mhz, I'm not sure that it is actually throttling right now, but I haven't had a good way to test it either, either way, given what I am working on right now, I can handle running constantly at 800 Mhz.

Thanks for your help DragonMage.

~Lyuokdea