Can I run Mandrake 10.1 in Windows?

mutazoid

Can I run Mandrake 10.1 in Windows?

Is it possible to everything including KDE programs?

Basically, I have one major problem with Linux and that is I live in Korea.

In Korea the websites are very very heavily dependent on IE,

I think the pages heavily depend on Active X components.

So, once and a while I would like to go to Korean chatting site but I need IE to display the site properly.

Any solutions?

[moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman]

You can get emulators for Windows to run Linux in, however, I don't know what the performance would be like.

The other alternative, is install Internet Explorer in Linux. Then you don't need Windows at all.

A lot of the open source software available with Linux is available for Windows too.

I have used all of the following in Windows (at one stage I had no choice but to use the OS at work):

- Abiword

- Gaim

- Open Office

- Xchat

- Firefox

- Thunderbird

The list goes on... so no, you can't run Mandriva _in_ Windows, they are both operating systems and, as such, you will have to work in only one at a time (lets not go into VMware here), but you can run most of the programs included with it.

Perhaps you meant dual-boot?

This is where you install both Mandriva and Windows on the same machine and can boot into either. If this is what you were asking, then yes, you can.

Actually, I was hoping there was a way to literally open linux in a window of Windows XP.

The emulators seem alright but I need IE.

Its really hard to explain but Korean websites are programmed with IE in mind and nothing else.

Korean websites are so complex and use Active X often.

Also, there is a websmithing program I want to use but its only runable in windows (even though it runs off any kind of server)

Otherwise, Linux is cool.

Im running a dual boot system but when Im websurfing its real pain in the ass to reboot just to see a Korean website.

Oh well :wall:

You can use things like VMWare in Windows, and do as you want, run Linux in a window within Windows. But, as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm not sure how performance would be.

I only know of VMWare, I'm not sure of any other emulators that you could try that work in a similar way.

Qemu is said to be a nice solution to run Linux inside Windows. The Damn Small Linux distribution even has a version to run inside Windows:

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org

I also remember of a Linux distribution that ran in Windows as a program off a disk-image file. I don't remember the name though.

Yves.

You can get qemu for windows, which should allow you to run Linux "inside" Windows.

Or, as I mentioned already VMWare, but it's expensive. Qemu is free. Do a google for it, there's a website you can download it from. I did today :P

• 1 month later...