version reg to get it. Now you only have to sign up and you get a free full

version.

Details

signup for Beta

Manual:

5.5 User Manual

Details:

vmtn_logo.gif

VMware Workstation 5.5 Beta…packed with new features and capabilities! 

We are proud to announce the availability of VMware Workstation 5.5 Beta, the latest version of VMware's desktop application for software developers/testers and IT professionals. We have taken an exceptional product and improved it with new features and capabilities that increase individual productivity and flexibility, and let users work with new types of software. Now we want to know what you think of it! As a beta tester, you can provide us with real-world testing and product feedback that will ensure the final release provides the functionality and quality that you expect from VMware Workstation.

New Feature Summary

Quick Links

Workstation 5.5 Beta Release Notes

Workstation 5.5 Beta FAQs

Workstation Beta 5.5 Documentation

Workstation Beta Discussion Forums (login required)

Workstation Knowledge Base

Support Requests (also use to submit bugs and provide product feedback)

Key new features and capabilities in VMware Workstation 5.5 Beta:

Support for 64-bit guest operating systems

Experimental support for 2-way Virtual SMP

New support for select host and guest operating systems and hardware - 32 and 64 bit

Ability to seamlessly open third-party formats as VMware virtual machines

Ability to seamlessly convert third-party formats into full VMware virtual machines

Toolbar customization capabilities

New wireless networking capabilities for Linux hosts

Improved autodetect makes it easier to configure devices for virtual machines

Enhancements to the command line interface

New Feature Detail

Key new features in VMware Workstation 5.5 Beta:

Support for 64-bit guest operating systems

Users can now run select 64-bit operating systems in virtual machines. This gives users additional freedom and flexibility to work with the operating systems that best suit their needs, including the ability to run 32- and 64-bit operating systems simultaneously on the same physical machine. Supported 64-bit guest operating systems include select Microsoft Windows, Red Hat, SUSE, and FreeBSD distributions. This 64-bit guest capability is fully supported on select Opteron and Athlon processors from AMD, and experimentally supported on Intel VT-enabled processors. A free utility that checks for supported processors is available as part of the download process. Click here for details on supported 64-bit guest operating systems and required processors.

Experimental support for 2-way Virtual SMP

Users can now assign up to two virtual processors to a virtual machine. This lets users create more realistic and powerful development and testing environments when working with multi-threaded, resource-intensive software. This capability is available for all supported configurations of 32-bit and 64-bit host and guest operating systems running on multi-processor host machines, including dual-core and hyper-threaded, uni-processor machines.

New support for select host & guest operating systems and hardware - 32 and 64 bit

Workstation 5.5 offers new host and guest operating system support for the latest distributions from Microsoft, Red Hat, SUSE, Sun Solaris x86, FreeBSD and more. Workstation 5.5 also offers support for new processors from Intel and AMD. Click here for details on supported operating systems and processors.

Seamlessly open third-party formats as VMware virtual machines

Via the Workstation user interface, users can now easily open third-party formats, including Microsoft virtual machines and Norton Ghost 9 images, without first fully converting them into VMware virtual machines. The initial virtual machine or image is left untouched and any modifications are saved in a much smaller VMware-formatted file. This feature makes it easier for individuals working in a multi-vendor environment to use VMware Workstation to leverage and manage their existing investment in other third-party formats.

Seamlessly convert third-party formats into full VMware virtual machines

Via the Workstation user interface, users can now easily convert third-party formats, including Microsoft virtual machines and Norton Ghost 9 images, into complete, full VMware virtual machines. The initial virtual machine is left untouched. This feature makes it easier for individuals working in a multi-vendor environment to use VMware Workstation to leverage and manage their existing investment in other third-party formats, or to standardize on the VMware platform.

Toolbar customization capabilities

• 11 months later...
Guest jaylbird
I just got approval from Vmware to download a full working copy

of Vmware 5.5. I tried before to apply for it but you needed a previous

version reg to get it. Now you only have to sign up and you get a free full

version.

Well, I already have it installed and running. My problem is that while installing WinXP as a guest OS, my laptop shuts down. As far as I can figure, it's either due to a video card problem, or my system is heating up too much. I actually stood in front of an A/C unit while installing and I got as far as picking the timezone stage. The system then justs shuts down! No power down (log off process) either, just a hard crash to power off!

Now, so you don't think I'm putting this on an inferior system, the running install of VMWare is on a 3.4Ghz P4, with 512Mg of RAM and 9Gb of available disk space. I allocated the recommended 280Mg of RAM for VMWare (this was the default option). VMWare also recognized and bridged my Atheros "G" wireless NIC! Any ideas? :help:

Could be if it's beta. I use vmware-server, it's free, and you can use the client when running on the server directly, or over the network by just installing the client on another machine, and pointing it to the machine running the server :P

Guest jaylbird
I only realised after I posted :P

Shoulda known too, I also got VMware Workstation 5.5 on my machine, installed last week.

Yeah, me too.... My version is the latest stable 5.5. It's been installed for over a week now. I've been forced to put that issue on the back burner, looking for other ways to run windoze XP. As I've posted elsewhere....I caught a trojan that can't be removed!!!! I've been trying NTFS write options (no success yet) and VMWare as possible solutions. I am trying to get a good install, so I can drop my required Win partition. Linux will be my backbone, if I can get quality support through emulation. I'm currently using CrossOver Office and WINE for alot of things, but I need better support with network capabilities. I tried Win4Lin a long time ago, but it was slow and crashed quite a bit with winbloze ME.